Speakers getting hot and smell...

cfox10
10+ year member

Rock the house.
I'm running a PlanetAudio 5000.D Monoblock amp to one of my Pioneer 12" Champion Pro subwoofers in a 1.30 cu. ft. Box. Running one subwoofer right now, it's 2ohm and it's running with my subsonic at around 23hz, my bass boost all the way down, my low pass is at around 80 on the amp and HU, my gain is set by ear around half way.. my HU outputs at 2v and the amp is set for 2v input. I'm running it at the hu about 60% up and I can smell the subwoofer and can feel the cone getting hot. I'm also running 2 awg power and ground. My wire in the sub box is only 16g though? and outside the box running to it is about 8g. Could that be why?

It also isn't very loud? When I moved the setup from one trunk to another car... it's not even close to as loud or clean as it was in the other car? This whole situation is messing with me.

On top of all this... this setup doesn't sound nearly as good as the one I had in my signature, and it cost more. :/

Sounds to me like you are running that sub sealed? I dont think that sub is supposed to be ran sealed.Running ported may do so much more for you..Check /google the specs up on that sub,and find out what the min requirements are,for the enclosure,and double check your wiring configuration on the sub

If the wire was being over-driven the wire would be the thing getting hot and potentially melting in addition to possibly causing the amp to be strained. You may be smelling that... its worth a look inside the box...

It's actually in a ported box. I'm going to go ahead and check the wires tomorrow. The amp doesn't even come close to getting warm but the wiring to the terminals was dark like it was burning a little bit. I need to replace the terminals because the twist terminals keep getting loose anyway so I'll go ahead and replace the wiring then... But the cone of the woofer actually gets hot. I'm not sure why?

My girlfriend also listens to a lot of hip hop and I think a lot of the bass lines are below 40hz? I thought around 20-25hz for my subsonic would be good enough? I don't want to be missing out on my low notes. Would it help to invert the subs or to build a new box? I haven't had much luck with these subs so far. Thanks for the help guys.

well the one thing I see as your main problem is you set your gain by ear even a little bit can be enough on certain songs to clip the signal being sent to the sub heating it up quick, reset the gains the right way and fix any burnt wiring and see if it helps but you may have shaved/cooked some life off the epoxy coating on your vc's.

Well, if I have to go any lower then this amp isn't even pushing 500 rms because my 250 rms 10" pioneers on my coustic dr amp were getting louder and cleaner than this is. It's barely moving my woofer as is. It sounds like it's bottoming out on lower notes even with the subsonic set... I'm wondering how much this amp is actually putting out. Any way to check?

Changed the wiring inside the box, got rid of the terminal cup and I'm using 8g coming out of the speaker directly to the amp... still getting hot. Maybe I'm just overpowering it. I read the manual and it says at 2ohms the amp is putting out 2500rms. I guess I just expected these to get louder? Much louder than they do? I made the mistake of just going by rms rating I guess. I've had subs with much lower rms sound much cleaner and louder. ****.

I heard these subs in real life and they get pretty loud, Sounds like your box is way too small, make a better box and it should sound great.

Thanks guys. I haven't heard these subs other than mine and I'm disappointed so far. I'll go ahead and look into building a box. Any recommendations on who I should go to for some box build ideas? I'll be honest the boxes are prefab boxes... these ones..and they seem like junk so a new box sounds like a good idea. I have 2 of these subs so I'm gonna want one box for the both now. ]

12" SINGLE VENTED

for the 1ohm load is my wire to thin? it's 4g.

i can tell you from experience that those subs can be loud.......i had 2 of them in 07 and hit a 141.6db with MECA on some crap Kenwood amps......get a better box and you will be happy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.