Ported or Sealed for trunk?

Those subs are made for ported. LARGE ported. Which is probably why they told you to go sealed. I dunno if you could fit a pair of those 12's in that trunk, I'm not sure how big it is. But you'd be better off getting some better and more efficient 10" or 12" subs, and going ported.

Those subs should be ported though. If you're shop is telling you they're better sealed, I'd find another shop.

Yes they told me to not port it. Because i wanted to buy a ported box but they said that sealed is best for a trunk. That ported is not good for trunks. o_O
Ported is fine for trunks. Most shops have no clue what they are talking about.

I agree with th advice you have been given. I just wanted to add that you should get a box built for your subs. Off the shelf ported is often way off from what would be best for your setup.

Yes they told me to not port it. Because i wanted to buy a ported box but they said that sealed is best for a trunk. That ported is not good for trunks. o_O
Well then don't go there anymore, they are absolutely clueless. The thing is though, you can't just buy a ported box off the shelf. They need to be custom built per the subwoofers specs, the environment it's used in, and the user's listening tastes. It'll probably run you around $100-$150, if you can find someone on here, that is local to yo to build it.

If you're not willing to shell out that cash for a box, then yes, you need to go sealed.

And if you think that is a lot of money or a box.... don't. It's worth every penny, and will quite literally make the system. It is one of the most integral parts.

They are BS'ing you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I was wondering if you should have a ported box or sealed box for a chrysler Sebring. I went to an audio shop and they told me that i should get a sealed box instead of a ported box for the trunk. I have 2 12 in Kicker Cvr's. Help??
I build a ported box for 2 -12 in audio Legion and they hitting hard in a 2016 Chrysler 300c. I build the box to the spec of each 12. Ported sound great in a trunk.

??

Kicker CompVR 43CVR124??​

You could go ported, with that driver you will need a 4.5 cubic foot box, for 1 sub, that's a big f'n box! While you can go ported, this driver can also be (and technically speaking) is designed for a sealed enclosure. I ran the numbers on this woofer in in BASS box pro and here is what it said.

Both sealed box's are stuff with aproximately 1lb polyfil to 1cubic foot of volume.
.7 Cu. Ft:
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Closed Box
Shape: Prism, square
Vb = 0.669 cu.ft
Qtc = 0.969
QL = 20
F3 = 51.27 Hz
Fill = heavy

1 cubic foot:
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Closed Box
Vb = 1 cu.ft
Qtc = 0.869
QL = 20
F3 = 47.34 Hz
Fill = heavy

Not exactly low, but very flat responses (almost zero rise through entire frequency band) from around 47Hz to 300Hz

4.5 Cu Foot vented box, no fill:

Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box
Vb = 4.5 cu.ft
Fb = 27.93 Hz
QL = 20
F3 = 22.64 Hz
Fill = minimal
No. of Vents = 1
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv = 5 in
Lv = 10.68 in

Quite a bit lower w/an f3 of 22.64Hz, pretty flat with a slight 1.5db bump in the desirable area of 35Hz to 45Hz but that is in a very large box. No issue with wasted power or cone displacment at rated power of 400 watts. In order to avoid unwanted resonance from the driver FS, recomend using a subsonic filter at 15-20Hz

I tried to go lower in size but using a decent size diameter or slot port came out WAY to big. A 5" Dia. port in a 3 cubic ft. box was 27" long for an F3 of25Hz but the the output would need to be manipulated with DSP to get it flat, it was really bad! So, couple of sealed options, 1 ported option, goal dependant.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...