Advice on Amp and Sub Combo (SSA + Kenwood?)

I am currently running two newer Infinity Kappa 12" subs 350w rms each in a sealed box (120.9w) driven by a 900w rms kenwood amplifier (KAC-9105D). They are supposed to be more of a sound quality subwoofer? and don't put out the volume or SPL I need and want. Some things have been fishy with them so i borrowed my buddies 2 JL 12w3v2D4's w/box to see the difference and I NEED new subs. It was like night and day. I'm considering purchasing a 12" icon SSA sub instead. I don't have a lot of experience w/audio equipment and need advice. Will this Icon really put out more than 2 12" infinities? Also, would this Kenwood Amp I have be enough to drive the Icon decently until i can find a good upgrade? I'm running all this with a Kenwood HU (KDC-X994) in a 2004 BMW 3 series. Please advise?

Was the JL audio box ported?

Also 1 12 inch sub won't be louder than 2 with the same power, in general. There are more variables than just the subs at work here. You should try to figure out what you liked so much more about the JL subs, maybe it is not so much the subs as the box.

Indeed, the enclosure will make all the difference when you are talking about the sub stage and it's performance. The product will have an impact as well, but nothing will make a single change as much as an enclosure. That is why you will many of us talking to others about buying subs. If you purchase new subs, get a new enclosure or check with your designer/builder to see how the new ones will work out in the old enclosures. Typically though, a new enclosure is almost always required.

120.9w should be able to play louder than JL w3. Just look at xmax, 17mm vs 12mm. My observation with Infinity 120.9w sub is that it needs good power to play loud, more power than its 350watt rating. The subs were designed to play well in a reasonably sized sealed box and hit lows well, but that usually requires more power. The other day I modeled it on WinISD, which shows you need to feed it like 500-600watts just to reach its potential xmax excursion. I run about 400-450watts to mine, verified with DMM. You have a 900watt RMS amplifier, but did you set gains with DMM? The gain setting could be set right now for them to see less power. But yes, I would say these subwoofers err on the side of sound quality.

Also, how do you have them wired? They have a switch to flip between 2ohm and 4ohm impedance. In your case, both should be set at 4ohms, and then wired in parallel to a mono block amplifier's channel.

So originally I thought that maybe I had the wrong box for this sub (120.9) and I had experimented around with several different enclosures with no significant change. I tried the recommended ported enclosure (ideal volume is 1.5 if I remember right?) and even tried tuning the port to exact recommendations. I tried a single sealed because I prefer sealed enclosures anyway that follow the volume knob better through all frequencies. I have always seemed to experience non-linear volume (its always really quiet even when its high volume until approx . I'm going nuts. I thought for a while it might be the amp, or the signal wires to the amp or maybe the HU. I tried different sources to just the amp. I agree there should be no way some JL 12w3's should hit harder or sound better than these infinities but I have no explanation for what's happened. Just looking at the sensitivity and rms rating you would think these infinities would be clearly the louder and better choice. I didn't have another amp to try until recently. Now I acquire my buddies gear for the testing and presto. I switch sub's w/box and all the issues are gone. I'm running the same 1 ohm configuration on the same amp w/ the same gain setting even. Now I can hear subs at low level, the volume stays consistent throughout my hour drive to work, they hit everything including bass drums on up, and they thump hard when I turn them up. I will switch my old subs to his box just to make sure I'm not missing something but I'm pretty convinced the 120.9's were the issue. Either way I'm ready for something else. Will the 900wrms kenwood amp be enough to push a single icon ssa 12? Should I be trying for something more tame?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.