n00by gain question...perhaps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

djayarr
10+ year member

Believe me, I really did look all over the internet for an answer so please don't flame me. I just read the gain sticky and stuff like that but i might have missed something/might not be wording searches right/might not be understanding "gain" like i should be/i just ****...so please redirect me or answer w/o flaming :/

if you had (2) SA-15's wired to a crescendo bc2000d at 2 Ohms, and the amp's RMS at that impedance is rated at 1100w i believe, would tuning gain allow me to reach 1200 watts rms to match the 600 watts each on the subs? i understand they can handle more/you could keep it at 1100, etc but just for my knowledge...or is 1100w the highest it will go wired at 2 ohms? very confused right now, just need a push in the right direction.

if that's worded extremely n00by please forgive me, my head is sore from reading for hours haha. and yes, my pre and post copouts mean i'm insecure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

thank you very much for your responses, just trynna learn haha.

Honestly, with them both being underrated you probably will see that "1200 rms" @ 2 ohm. I haven't seen a clamp @ 2 personally but I know they will make good power so I'd honestly say you're fine @ 2 but if it were me I would wire them lower.

okay thanks!

and on the other side, on soundsolutions the description reads, 2250w on the crescendo at 1 Ohm so if i were to wire (2) dual 4's would it be safe? i see 1000w max or 1200w max for daily here and there...

i guess in general, will tuning in turn let me get a desired 2000w or if you tune correctly is that saying you're at the ideal wattage for the impedance you're wired at..?

like i said, extreme brain damage suffered at the hand of reading.

Music is variable, subs are variable, etc etc. When you wire at 2 ohms and play music all that power fluctuates and so does the ohm load. UP and DOWN. A straight tone, not so much as music but will rise. You can set for a certian area, but that's not what you get 24/7 because it's fluctuating. You also have box rise which in a sense will make whatever your starting ohm load (what you wire @) rise so power decreases. I would wire @ 1 ohm (it will rise remember) and you will have plenty of power on tap. JUST BE SURE to set the gain correctly and you'll be fine as frog hair.

right on! i just read a last ditch "please let me understand" post and i realized i was looking at the whole thing wrong. i understand totally now haha.

my confusion probably comes from only reading about stuff and not actually doing it.

What's this "sub-sonic filter" you speak of? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif
This is slightly off topic, but since we're on to Sub Sonic Filters... I have a kicker zx2500.1 (the newest model I believe, i can post pics if need be) and it doesn't have a sub sonic filter on it at all, as far as I can find... is this correct, or am I just fucking retarded??

Ooooh. I lied. I was looking at the previous model. That one actually doesn't have one.
I gotcha man, yeah I was surprised that it doesn't have one. I must have looked the entire amp over 100 times, sure that I was just going crazy haha.

Any disadvantages with not having one?

Thanks

Only if your subs aren't built to handle low stuff and you play low stuff.
huh I gotcha, So watching my box tuning is probably more important then. I don't go out of my way to find low stuff, so I probably don't play much below 30hz. I'm running two sa 15's, ported enclosure tuned to about 33hz, fyi.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.