certain subs getting "lower??"

RangerDangerV2
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
st cloud MN
ive seen this thrown around a lot that some woofers get lower than other... im not talking size wise more so company wise... I was just told that the atomic apocalypse 15s dont play well under 40hz even if they are built for a daily setup... I said that it was more enclosure dependent than anything... I know that some woofers may be more efficient or have a lower fs, but I would think that the enclosure will determine what the woofer can play?? am I right or wrong?

Some somes have a lower fs which is the same as a slope on an amp. Its the point where they are going to start dropping off. They will still play the entire freq range bit may be stronger lower then others. Like DD and DC. Two totally different subs for different purposes. Both can play low, both can get loud. One just does low better, one does loud better.

The box and sub determine how low the system will play. Some subs are designed to work well in low tuned boxes, others try to get more spl at a higher frequency.

opinions on the atomic apocalypse series?? I had an apxx 18 and it played the lows very well... im walling my ranger with 4 ap 15s which is why I ask... Im looking for it to be more of a demo machine...

Some somes have a lower fs which is the same as a slope on an amp. Its the point where they are going to start dropping off. They will still play the entire freq range bit may be stronger lower then others. Like DD and DC. Two totally different subs for different purposes. Both can play low, both can get loud. One just does low better, one does loud better.
Hmm... I don't know about the slope part. Can you link me to this info? As far as I know, a sub's "Fs" is just it's fundamental resonance. Like, if you thumped it free air it would play that note. It's also where that driver's impedance will peak in free air. I've never seen anything about Fs having an F3 attached to it or a certain slope.

Seems to me a lower Fs would cause the system's fundamental resonance to shift to the left (lower). As such, the entire alignment's resonance or impedance peak would shift lower meaning you would actually be seeing less power from your amp on those "lows." That's odd.

Hmm... I don't know about the slope part. Can you link me to this info? As far as I know, a sub's "Fs" is just it's fundamental resonance. Like, if you thumped it free air it would play that note. It's also where that driver's impedance will peak in free air. I've never seen anything about Fs having an F3 attached to it or a certain slope.
Seems to me a lower Fs would cause the system's fundamental resonance to shift to the left (lower). As such, the entire alignment's resonance or impedance peak would shift lower meaning you would actually be seeing less power from your amp on those "lows." That's odd.
Thats what I got out of a little conversation I had with Manville Smith a while back.

F3 is the -3 cut off. FS is below

Driver free air resonance, in Hz. This is the point at which driver impedance is maximum. "This parameter is the free-air resonant frequency of a speaker. Simply stated, it is the point at which the weight of the moving parts of the speaker becomes balanced with the force of the speaker suspension when in motion. If you've ever seen a piece of string start humming uncontrollably in the wind, you have seen the effect of reaching a resonant frequency. It is important to know this information so that you can prevent your enclosure from 'ringing'. With a loudspeaker, the mass of the moving parts, and the stiffness of the suspension (surround and spider) are the key elements that affect the resonant frequency. As a general rule of thumb, a lower Fs indicates a woofer that would be better for low-frequency reproduction than a woofer with a higher Fs. This is not always the case though, because other parameters affect the ultimate performance as well."

FS

Driver free air resonance, in Hz. This is the point at which driver impedance is maximum. "This parameter is the free-air resonant frequency of a speaker. Simply stated, it is the point at which the weight of the moving parts of the speaker becomes balanced with the force of the speaker suspension when in motion. If you've ever seen a piece of string start humming uncontrollably in the wind, you have seen the effect of reaching a resonant frequency. It is important to know this information so that you can prevent your enclosure from 'ringing'. With a loudspeaker, the mass of the moving parts, and the stiffness of the suspension (surround and spider) are the key elements that affect the resonant frequency. As a general rule of thumb, a lower Fs indicates a woofer that would be better for low-frequency reproduction than a woofer with a higher Fs. This is not always the case though, because other parameters affect the ultimate performance as well."

F3 is the -3db cut off

there is no one parameter that tells what a sub will do, an example is the sa-8 v2, the fs is ~71 Hz, but it will play down in the 30's. As far as speakers that don't play low, just look at pro audio woofers. Most won't work well below 50 Hz.

Most T/S specs are not all that usable in mobile electronics anyway.

They are a good "starting" point for various tasks..but that is about it.

Most T/S specs are not all that usable in mobile electronics anyway.

They are a good "starting" point for various tasks..but that is about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.