(Probably Stupid) Thiele-Small Specification Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

urwhatueati8god
10+ year member

He tasted like chicken.
NJ
I have all the specifications for the subwoofer that I'm using and am mapping out what size the box should be. The question is when doing the calculations, does the volume include the port volume or does the port volume need to be added separately? Sorry if this has been posted before, but I didn't see it anywhere in the thread.

That has nothing to do with the T/S params, but your volume should be after all displacements (sub, port, bracing). If your box is 4 cubes gross (total), your port takes up 0.75 cubes and the sub takes up 0.25 cubes then your net volume is 3.0 cubes

You might want to consider learning a bit more before designing/building your own enclosure if this has you tripped up. But the net volume is after sub/bracing/port displacements are subtracted. The gross volume is prior to displacements being subtracted. Every manufacturer's recommendation that I've ever seen is a net volume. And, generally, the manufacturer is recommending the smallest possible size. Most subs like much more than the recommended. And, fyi, this is not a t/s question.... I was directed to the pro designers on this site after attempting this myself when I knew nothing about the subject. They were right to do it, so I'll do the same. Hit up a pro, man.

You might want to consider learning a bit more before designing/building your own enclosure if this has you tripped up. But the net volume is after sub/bracing/port displacements are subtracted. The gross volume is prior to displacements being subtracted. Every manufacturer's recommendation that I've ever seen is a net volume. And, generally, the manufacturer is recommending the smallest possible size. Most subs like much more than the recommended. And, fyi, this is not a t/s question.... I was directed to the pro designers on this site after attempting this myself when I knew nothing about the subject. They were right to do it, so I'll do the same. Hit up a pro, man.
I would, but alas it's not for me; it's for my stupid and cheap cousin who won't spend any money on any pro guidance for his installation.

I would, but alas it's not for me; it's for my stupid and cheap cousin who won't spend any money on any pro guidance for his installation.
This is part of the industry..Just one of the parts that we didn't have.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Ask question to help himself learn how to design an enclosure, gets told to learn more.

the volume is the actual chamber, the port and subwoofer are separate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.