My review of the Pioneer AVH-P8400

Participant count
  • Participant list

rick1024

This is my review on the Pioneer AVH-P8400. Unfortunately, this is not really a positive purchase. I can honestly say I am pretty disappointed in Pioneer and this head unit. I am hoping Pioneer gets these issues straightened out and fixed with a firmware update.

First, the positive:

-This unit really sounded much better than my previous Pioneer Premier F90BT. There was a notable clarity once I switched to it.

-I can connect two ipods to it rather than just one.

-The G.U.I. was also very appealing.

-Not having a bunch of harnesses in the back of the unit was also a plus and made installation a lot easier.

-Most of the issues with the head unit appear to be software based, and hopefully will be fixed soon

-The screen has a very vivid and clear resolution. It is definitely one of the nicer screens I have seen.

-Very quick load up time. Unit is ready to go in seconds from turning the car on.

The Negative:

-The screen goes dead and does not respond to any touches intermittently. Considering so many features are controlled by touching the screen, this is a bad deal.

-If you’re using an iphone, the iphone alert sound effects come though when listening to Pandora or the ipod feature from the iphone. Im not sure if it’s a head unit issue or a iphone issue, but when driving to music this is annoying.

-The GPS apps are garbage. PERIOD.

-If you connect the iphone before the Bluetooth connects, it causes all sorts of problems. The Pandora feature does not work, you have to use AppRadio in order to hear Pandora, but AppRadio will also not function properly. If you turn off your car for any reason, you have to disconnect the iphone when you restart it, if the Bluetooth connects while the iphone is already connected to the head unit, then you will have the above mentioned problems.

-The CD-IU201S Cable is ridiculously too short. The part of the cable that connects to the iphone is sadly only 2 feet long, which means you have to mount the iphone very close to the unit. I bought an Iphone extension and it caused AppRadio to no longer function. Ridiculous.

Im really saddened by this unit. I have been a loyal pioneer customer for many years. I have gone through 8 Units and this is terrible. I wanted to replace my F90BT with something newer and faster, with a more precise GPS. I originally was considering the AVIC-Z140BH, but I really didn’t like that I would have to disconnect my ipod and connect my iphone to use certain features. I am accustomed to connecting my ipod, which has all my music on it, to the head unit and putting it in the glove box and not messing with it anymore. I was hoping for the same with the iphone apps but this is not the car. You have to use the iphone itself to control the iphone apps, with the exception of Pandora. This is dangerous as you have to keep taking your eyes off the road to do this, not to mention the clumsy short cable causing problems with reach.

I will say that as just a head unit its great. the major downside to it is the iphone/ipod controls in appmode. also the whole having to wait till bluetooth connects is also annoying. if you do it wrong you have to turn off the car and try again.

Is this the 8400bh?

If so it is the one I have, I have had the screen go dead once. You just need to turn the car off and restart it. By screen going dead he means everything still works, But the touch screen aspect of it will not work.

Ive never used pandora or iPhone on it, just sd card. And the sd card loads super fast.

touch screen going dead should never be an issue. last night mine went dead and this time the buttons on the bottom of the screen stopped working too
This is a very weird issue.... Seems software related... What I don't get is that it is extremely similar to it's little brother that does NOT have a removable faceplate. I wonder if that's the issue.

touch screen going dead should never be an issue. last night mine went dead and this time the buttons on the bottom of the screen stopped working too
This is a very weird issue.... Seems software related... What I don't get is that it is extremely similar to it's little brother that does NOT have a removable faceplate. I wonder if that's the issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.