Sign in to follow this  
sleazebagger

HDC3 Box and tuning for explorer

Next week I will be building a box for my explorer with two 18' HDC3's. Running a VLF 400.1 so these will get everything they can handle.

I don't have to much room to work with but it should do. 44.5 W 30 D 23 H. Was thinking of using aero ports and tuning to 39hz.

After searching the interwebz and seeing vids with these subs I wasn't very impressed by most setups. I guess that's what one gets with a pair of semi budget subs.

Anyway I would like some suggestions if you have experience running these in an SUV. From what I hear these need a lot of room and high tuning.

Thanks much

12ft3 is the min but will work pretty good. I wouldn't go much over 23 ft3 for the max. If you are wanting max output go slot port and use a large amount of port area. The tuning is up to and your goals.

YouTube is not something you should base your expectations on. There is no way to tell truelly whatvs system sounds like or anything from s video.

DCCreationssigfinalimg.jpg

from what I have learned with explorers, they like to be tuned around 48-52Hz. Aero port would be the way to go because you can adjust it to be tuned anyway you want really. I would deff say go with at least 3 1/4 cubes of internal air space per sub though. There is a guy on here named Bill Lolo a.k.a @psychoacoustics ; who makes custom 8" aero ports out of welded steel that slid in and out to make it fully adjustable without cutting or adding anything. [url]http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/550511-where-buy-aeroports.html#post8080998[/url]

[url=http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=56dc43104c73c7f00b5cb285494df832&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caraudio.com%2Fforums%2Fsubwoofers%2F550511-where-buy-aeroports.html%23post8080998&v=1&libid=1344256853646&out=http%3A%2F%2Fs232.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee266%2Fpsychoacoustics%2Faeroports%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caraudio.com%2Fforums%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D1562394&title=where%20to%20buy%20aeroports%3F&txt=aeroports%20pictures%20by%20psychoacoustics%20-%20Photobucket&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13442569523294]aeroports pictures by psychoacoustics - Photobucket[/url]

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

2012 TNESPL R2 WORLD CHAMPION

TNESPL R2 ALL TIME RANKINGS RECORD HOLDER

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

www.youtube.com/TeamLoudIntentions

[quote name='xSPLoder808']from what I have learned with explorers, they like to be tuned around 48-52Hz. Aero port would be the way to go because you can adjust it to be tuned anyway you want really. I would deff say go with at least 3 1/4 cubes of internal air space per sub though. There is a guy on here named Bill Lolo a.k.a @psychoacoustics ; who makes custom 8" aero ports out of welded steel that slid in and out to make it fully adjustable without cutting or adding anything. [url]http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/550511-where-buy-aeroports.html#post8080998[/url]

[url=http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=56dc43104c73c7f00b5cb285494df832&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caraudio.com%2Fforums%2Fsubwoofers%2F550511-where-buy-aeroports.html%23post8080998&v=1&libid=1344256853646&out=http%3A%2F%2Fs232.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee266%2Fpsychoacoustics%2Faeroports%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caraudio.com%2Fforums%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D1562394&title=where%20to%20buy%20aeroports%3F&txt=aeroports%20pictures%20by%20psychoacoustics%20-%20Photobucket&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13442569523294]aeroports pictures by psychoacoustics - Photobucket[/url][/QUOTE]

Umm lot of fail in that post.

2002 suburban

Security System Code alarm

Electrical Dc power sp270 7 deka 9A31's and lots of 1/0

Headunit pioneer 880prs

Amps 2 Sax125.2 front stage crossfire xs8k@.5

Wiring lots of 1/0 stinger, tsunami

Mids & Tweeters 2 sets cdt m6+ mids 2 sets cdt tw25 tweets

Subs 2-18" nightshade v2's d2

System DetailsDaily driver.

Umm lot of fail in that post.

sure, enlighten us then

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

Let's just point out your 3.25 cubes per 18" hdc comment really they are not a small box sub at all.

2002 suburban

Headunit pioneer 880prs

mind you the size of an explorer rear cargo. just built a box for a friends explorer and it's 6cuft including port. There is maybe 3 inches left from side to side after the box was done, port and all. I will tell you one thing though sleez, my explorer loves loading off of the hatch. I've tried port firing off passenger side, driver side and port facing windshield and my highest meter read was off the hatch.

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

Let's just point out your 3.25 cubes per 18" hdc comment really they are not a small box sub at all.

Dude I know you have a ton of experience with explorers so why don't you just drop some knowledge and stop flaming.

Yes I know its small however doesn't mean to advise on a box will will lead to horrible results.

2002 suburban

Headunit pioneer 880prs

mind you the size of an explorer rear cargo. just built a box for a friends explorer and it's 6cuft including port. There is maybe 3 inches left from side to side after the box was done, port and all. I will tell you one thing though sleez, my explorer loves loading off of the hatch. I've tried port firing off passenger side, driver side and port facing windshield and my highest meter read was off the hatch.

when you say loading do you mean ports about 8 inches from the hatch?

Tonight when I get on a computer and pull all my old data up.

2002 suburban

Headunit pioneer 880prs

when you say loading do you mean ports about 8 inches from the hatch?

I would say more around 5 to 6 inches from hatch. Mind you, if my previous post was read correctly, I said minimum 3 1/4 cubes of internal airspace per sub

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

Tonight when I get on a computer and pull all my old data up.

That would be cool cause I'm lovin' that box in your sig:)

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 AM ----------

I would say more around 5 to 6 inches from hatch.

cool... that gives me 2 more inches then:)

i also would like to see where the "lots of" fail is. you might not of agreed with the size I said, doesn't mean it's wrong though. sleez, i'd put money on your explorers vehicle tuning being within the freq range I mentioned

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

i also would like to see where the "lots of" fail is. you might not of agreed with the size I said, doesn't mean it's wrong though. sleez, i'd put money on your explorers vehicle tuning being within the freq range I mentioned

I figured it was high from my experience with my old hcca's being around 42hz.

Also, does it make a difference if I split the box but still keep the subs touching on the inner sides?

From what I know about pro audio this is the way to go:/

That box is long gone will post new pics later.

2002 suburban

Headunit pioneer 880prs

dude i have the same amp. you should give me yours so I have 2 lol

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

I figured it was high from my experience with my old hcca's being around 42hz.

Also, does it make a difference if I split the box but still keep the subs touching on the inner sides?

From what I know about pro audio this is the way to go:/

every aero box I have ever seen done, there was never a divider splitting up the subs, there were all open with just some 45's added in

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO!

TEAM

LOGO.png

TEAM LOUD INTENTIONS

dude i have the same amp. you should give me yours so I have 2 lol

Who me.

2002 suburban