how much should i pay for a custom box to be built?

10+ year member

hi guys, sorry if im posting this in wrong area. please move if it is.

well, im thinking of getting a custom box made for me. nothing special. probably a bandpass for an 8" inch sub. no plexiglass. just a simple box and carpeted.

it to be specifically made for a sub that ill be picking out first.

i found a local guy that says he can make it for me but im not sure what a custom box goes for now a days.

how much should i be paying for the the custom box?

hi guys, sorry if im posting this in wrong area. please move if it is.
well, im thinking of getting a custom box made for me. nothing special. probably a bandpass for an 8" inch sub. no plexiglass. just a simple box and carpeted.

it to be specifically made for a sub that ill be picking out first.

i found a local guy that says he can make it for me but im not sure what a custom box goes for now a days.

how much should i be paying for the the custom box?
just make it ur self its not that hard and to make my box it cost me just 40 bucks and mine was for 2 12s

just make it ur self its not that hard and to make my box it cost me just 40 bucks and mine was for 2 12s

thanks for the reply, i was waiting for someone to post this (statement) as it seems like a recurring theme with most posts on this forum. lol

i cant do it for a few reasons and here are some; dont have the time, no tools, no place to do it at, not enough experience.

so, again what should i be paying for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the quality and level of service you would be receiving, personally if there gonna be using a generic design I wouldn't pay more then 80$ If you go and have a design done for the 8" sub and its something a litle more complex id say 100-120$ I build my own boxes so these numbers are more of how id value someones elses work for me.

I myself wouldnt pay over $160,thats a real custom made box ..wrapped, ported, tuned,and good MDF of 3/4,and routered for the sub to sit flush with the box..for an 8, that for me would be a fair price

**** my car audio shop would only charge 80-100 for a single 8 so keep that in mind. they only wanted 175 for my 2 12s

**** my car audio shop would only charge 80-100 for a single 8 so keep that in mind. they only wanted 175 for my 2 12s
Did you get it wrapped in in vinyl,routered edges and for the sub to fit flush??If so GREAT DEAL!!

Price will change and is more subject to who is building it. Some times the cheaper the price there is a reason. In most cases you do get what you pay for, but in some cases like shops that is not the case. They will over charge you many times and still not get the results you want. Some shops do a great job though....

So to be honest, it is a roll of the dice. Our prices are pretty standard, but we don't list band pass pricing as those prices can change with a simple alteration of how the port is setup...simply to many variables to consider when shopping for enclosures.

I would expect to pay $100+

Please know that not all subs work well with band pass enclosures, you should work with whoever will be designing and building the enclosure to make sure you get the right sub for the job. (Also, ask how they design the enclosure. Using rule of thumb or just guessing will not work well normally)

an 8 in a bandpass?cant go bigger sub,maybe ported?
im limited on space.

i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would need a certain dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I would expect to pay $100+
Please know that not all subs work well with band pass enclosures, you should work with whoever will be designing and building the enclosure to make sure you get the right sub for the job. (Also, ask how they design the enclosure. Using rule of thumb or just guessing will not work well normally)

what questions should i ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
im limited on space.i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would a dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

what questions should i ask?
Band pass is often bigger than a ported box for the same sub. As far as what you should ask- how do you design a BP box? What program do you use? How does it compare to a ported or sealed box for that sub? What is the frequency response of the BP? ... You don't need to ask all these things, just try to see if he knows what he is doing.

no 8 gets loud and clean unless ure in a jeep of single/crew cab pickup. But the Sa-8s and DD 1508s do a pretty good job of making some noise for 8in subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.