Same speakers front and rear?

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
So right now I have 6.5" Focal comps in the front that were $300. I have stock speakers in the rear, and want to upgrade. The problem is that I dont really want to spend $300 on speakers that I wont hear that much. So, can I just buy some coaxials for around $200 or so? I was told I should have the same speakers all around but don't really want to spend that much haha.

Second question:

What 4 channel amp do you recommend to drive the 70wrms Focals and whatever speakers I get for the rear? As of now I just have a 4x45wrms Alpine power pack behind my HU.

You can buy any kind of speaker since you won't be hearing most of that sound anyways. Just go with a lower brand of focal or anything along those lines... even 100 dollar co-axial would sound fine.

Pick up the Boston SE95's for less than $80 new. Really good coaxials that take a lot more than rated.

As for an amp, I prefer old school 4 channels due to better sound quality and power. There's a Phoenix Gold xs4600 in the amp classifieds here, killer pricing on it. That amp would be perfect for your setup.

The idea of front & rear speakers matching actually comes from home audio. They call it 'timbre matching' and in a nice quiet open room, it makes a difference. In a vehicle like yours? You'll never know the difference.

The speakers are mounted really low in the doors, they're pointed at each other, you have seats in the way, and you can't really aim them. Unless they're blown or making some mechanical racket...I wouldn't worry much.

The new line of JBL amps seem affordable although class ab, very powerful and the new design only needs a gauge 8 wire the

JBL GTO-804EZ is the one that could b a good amp for those efficient focals

If your running a sub in the back, you really don't even need rear speakers. Feed the front components a good amount of power, and you wont even notice the rear ones missing.

I agree, I do not see the point of spending much on the rears, the rears are for the passengers I would just spend under $60.00, they need to be 93-92 db spl, maybe polks Db's, Infinity Reference or maybe even some Kenwood, without a Power amp, I would say match them and the rear fill is needed, once you add 50 plus watts your fronts take over and like mentioned before you will not hear the rears much unless you use the fader.

Never mind I thought the op had no sub but there is a sub and good amp already in place it looks like.

I wanted to add and ask if that small amp was tried with the focals already, it has no crossovers but the HU can handle the crossovers and since the focals are 93db spl they may deliver what is needed from the 45watt amp. Or just an idea try to run them active with the HU crossovers and using the small amp, that will tune the front stage better, using the 4 channels just for the fronts, that will bring basically 90 watts to the speakers, 45 for the tweeters and 45 for the 6/12 drivers.

Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
the point in adding rear speakers is to add spaciousness to the cabin. you are trying to replicate the reflections you get in a room and it's those late arrivals that tell your brain how large the space is. rear fill is important for any system, but it's difficult to implement well without processing. without processing, you are best without rears. i don't run rears because i don't have the miniDSP for rears yet... and then i'll do a L-R mix.

with processing, you just need some small mids, 4" is fine, to run 400Hz-4khz. you want them enclosed/sealed so they are not influenced by subs in the trunk, and so you can control the Q and response of them.

Perhaps Focal has a decent co-axial speaker in its product line? I am not familiar with them. One good coaxial speaker Hybrid Audio Mirus, since it's based on the popular HAT Imagine. Paper cone, which should be comparable to Focals.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.