Amp goes into protect on max volume during bass hits. Help

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
Finally got around to dropping in the third sub today, and switching over to my APSM-1500 Amp. Running 3 12" 4ohm subs, at 1.34ohms in parallel and I've set the gains with a DMM to 500watts rms. When I set it using the 50hz tone, I set it to 30/40 (volume) on my head unit so I know that would be my 500wrms limit and I never go over it. When playing music and I go down to 29/40 it never goes into protect, only at 30/40. It goes into protect for about 3 seconds then starts up again, continues playing the track until it encounters another bass hit it doesn't like.

I have done the big 3, got an 85 Amp alternator and a standard battery (says high performance on it if that's worth anything). I had a volt meter checking the voltage while playing and it didn't always cut out at the lowest Vdrop. Sometimes it cut out at 1V of vdrop, or even at 0.2V under. So it isn't dipping low enough for that to be the problem.

Before today I was running 400wrms at 2 ohms fine on a class AB amp I have, heated up like hell. Dropped the APSM in today, runs incredibly cool but goes into protect fairly often.

I noticed playing songs which peaked at around 40hz with constant bass notes it cut out maybe 40% of the time, but then trying a song with bass hits around 26hz it cut out every time the volume was at 30/40. (Anything under 30 and it works fine).

Inb4 "it's an audiopipe", made this setup on a budget so it's second hand gear except for the amp.

Any help/tips are greatly appreciated, should be getting some 4awg wire in the mail soon and I'll be running the system at 1000wrms so I need to get this sorted. The amp I'm using it only 8awg now hence my 500wrms limit on the power.

Cheers.

edit: more info

This happens both with the car stationary and moving, so there can't be any loose connections, I've checked them all and they're all bolted down well.

I have only played the system with the car turned on, don't wan't to bump it on the battery and not have enough juice left to not be able to start the car.

Also the sound tracks I'm using aren't clipped for the most part, definitely not when it was going into protect. I rebass my music so I just checked and where it cut out, clipping from the mp3 didn't cause it. (been looking online and someone suggested this could've been the problem)

Bass Boost is also switched off on everything, off on amp and head unit, I never use it.

Each sub is in its own 1.85cf chamber in the box ported tuned to around 31.5hz.

Last edited by a moderator:
The audio pipe might be going into thermal protect. Is the amp getting really warm before and just after it cuts out? A friend of mine has the APSM1800 and smoked it after 1 month on just 2x 10's at 1 ohm.

The audio pipe might be going into thermal protect. Is the amp getting really warm before and just after it cuts out? A friend of mine has the APSM1800 and smoked it after 1 month on just 2x 10's at 1 ohm.
nope, it's ridiculous how cool it is, now this is only the third amp I've owned but it really surprised me how cool it runs. That isn't the issue as far as I can tell.

Alright I think i've figured it out, after a while of testing the amp at different loads with 1,2 or 3 subs, I decided to measure the input voltage on the amp manually with a DMM on the low bass hits. And it was HORRIBLE. Full tilt on a 26hz peak song with my car idling, the inputs on the Amp were fluctuating between 13.66V down to the 10's. Most of the time the amp cuts off whenever it went under 11, sometimes it cut out when it was around 12 but I figured that was just the DMM not being able to update the reading fast enough. I was worried so I went over and manually checked the battery and the lowest I got to was 12.6V. It usually runs at around 13.8V and I've seen it rarely hit 14V. Therefore I'm losing voltage between the battery and the amp inputs.

Now I'm convinced it's my ground, I'm guessing others here will agree, if it could be something else let me know. But I doubt it.

I'm guessing most decent amps would go into voltage protect under 11V.

Alright I think i've figured it out, after a while of testing the amp at different loads with 1,2 or 3 subs, I decided to measure the input voltage on the amp manually with a DMM on the low bass hits. And it was HORRIBLE. Full tilt on a 26hz peak song with my car idling, the inputs on the Amp were fluctuating between 13.66V down to the 10's. Most of the time the amp cuts off whenever it went under 11, sometimes it cut out when it was around 12 but I figured that was just the DMM not being able to update the reading fast enough. I was worried so I went over and manually checked the battery and the lowest I got to was 12.6V. It usually runs at around 13.8V and I've seen it rarely hit 14V. Therefore I'm losing voltage between the battery and the amp inputs.
Now I'm convinced it's my ground, I'm guessing others here will agree, if it could be something else let me know. But I doubt it.

I'm guessing most decent amps would go into voltage protect under 11V.
check the fuse holder...across it with the meter, double check the clamps on the fuse...check for looseness

alt isnt keeping up with the direct current draw..******* that battery down before it can be charged back up...working its *** off/your electrical system that is

alt isnt keeping up with the direct current draw..******* that battery down before it can be charged back up...working its *** off/your electrical system that is
Well on idle no, when i'm driving it doesn't go under 13.2V. Alternator is 85Amps and the amp is only pulling 500rms so that can't be the problem in my view.

If the battery is still at a decent voltage and the amp inputs aren't, i'm pretty sure the link between them is the problem wouldn't you say?

check the fuse holder...across it with the meter, double check the clamps on the fuse...check for looseness
edit: just checked it and the most it read was 0.05V but it stayed between 0.01-0.02V most of the time so I think that's alright, thanks for the suggestion though I hadn't thought of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.