MDF Help!!!

obidon
10+ year member

Okay, so I probably shouldn't have done this but I drew up plans on my box. it's for a single 12" and will have a single PVC port 4" wide and 12" long. after port and basket displacement, the box will be 2.25 cubes.

So this is my problem...

By the way, it's 3/4" MDF

Home Depot cut the pieces I needed but they're all off by maybe an 1/8" or a 1/4". If I want to clean all the pieces up and have them all be even, how would I go about this? I have all the pieces I need but I'm not sure if I should use a circular saw to cut the pieces or maybe bring it to a professional. I don't want the wood to crack and this is my first box build. If I want to cut the MDF very slightly by an 1/8" or 1/4", would it crack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are tons of people that are great at this on here so I hope a few of you can give me some advice.

if all you have is a circular saw you are going to need a good straight edge that you can clamp down and use for a saw guide.......the mdf will take shaving some off without splitting.......

belt sanders take some practice and eat material fast I would go with the saw and guide the sander will leave lumps if you aren'r REALLY good with it.

you need a good straight edge redraw the lines while consuming as little as material as possible. Cut it with your cirlcular saw assemble box as square as possible then use belt sander with fine grit sandpaper or get ahold of a palm sander. Then use a router with a 3/4" roundover bit and carpet or paint the enclosure you wont be able to see any imperfections.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.