Sign in to follow this  
obidon

MDF Help!!!

Okay, so I probably shouldn't have done this but I drew up plans on my box. it's for a single 12" and will have a single PVC port 4" wide and 12" long. after port and basket displacement, the box will be 2.25 cubes.

So this is my problem...

By the way, it's 3/4" MDF

Home Depot cut the pieces I needed but they're all off by maybe an 1/8" or a 1/4". If I want to clean all the pieces up and have them all be even, how would I go about this? I have all the pieces I need but I'm not sure if I should use a circular saw to cut the pieces or maybe bring it to a professional. I don't want the wood to crack and this is my first box build. If I want to cut the MDF very slightly by an 1/8" or 1/4", would it crack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are tons of people that are great at this on here so I hope a few of you can give me some advice.

if all you have is a circular saw you are going to need a good straight edge that you can clamp down and use for a saw guide.......the mdf will take shaving some off without splitting.......

belt sanders take some practice and eat material fast I would go with the saw and guide the sander will leave lumps if you aren'r REALLY good with it.

you need a good straight edge redraw the lines while consuming as little as material as possible. Cut it with your cirlcular saw assemble box as square as possible then use belt sander with fine grit sandpaper or get ahold of a palm sander. Then use a router with a 3/4" roundover bit and carpet or paint the enclosure you wont be able to see any imperfections.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By RAM_Designs
      Figured I'd start one to keep track of the boxes I help people with(a little late now, but whatever)...if I've done something for you, please post your experience here whether it be good or bad.
    • By Sweet'n Low
      I've got a design ready to go I just don't have equipment. Anybody think they can handle this for me? Need someone with experience.. Will pay of coarse.

I live in Springfield so anywhere with in the Dayton-Columbus would be great.

Please take in consideration that I am on a budget...I'm leaving my job and starting college in a couple of weeks. After I get this finished this will prob be the last car audio related thing I do for awhile.

Anything within a hour of Springfield,OH would be great. I appreciate the help.

Cut List
      top and bottom: 2x - 32"x13"
      front: 29.25"x11.5"
      left side: 11.5"x11.5"
      back: 32"x11.5"
      right side: 12.25"x11.5"
      port: 9.5"x11.5" and 24"x11.5"
      45's: 5x - 11.5"x1.625"(across the side that becomes the inside of the box)
      bracing: 2x - 1.25" wide dowels cut 8.75" long, centered 6" from either side of the sub cutout center mark.
    • By ewiggins89
      Kicker recommends 3-6 cubic ft per sub. I'm thinking one box to house both subs, and planned on building it at about 10 cubic ft excluding the port.

Question 1: Can anyone recommend how many cubic feet to build this box, or does 10 cubic feet sound about right?

Question 2: What do you guys think I should tune the box to? I'm thinking somewhere between 32-35 hz.

Just remember, I know these are definitely not meant for SQ, but I would like to retain a little quality with the loudness. So feel free to comment and thanks in advance for any help!
    • By NATETHEBASSMAN
      RAM_ would u be able to ,make a box design for 2 SA-15s?
      please get back at me asap thanks man. i have all the specs for you
    • By chetomatic
      Hey, I know I risk looking like a complete idiot by admitting this, but I'm putting 2 12" Streetglow LED strips alongside my sub box. The only installation instructions say to connect the ground and the power to their respective sources. What I want to do is make them flash to the beat, much in the way my old Duals did. Can I hook them up to the speaker terminals on the sub box where the wires from the amp are hooked in? Or will this break the LEDs/underpower the subs? And if this isnt possible, does anyone know how to wire them to my amp? Thanks.