STUMPED by static noise on new components

Participant count
  • Participant list

dboto

Ok, so I recently bought and installed some Kenwood KFC-P709PS components in my 98 Pathfinder. After installing them I noticed right off the bat that there was a large amount of static noise coming from the new front tweeters and woofers, both sides. Sounds like tv static. The static noise clicks when I turn the volume to zero or change the mode on the head unit, but other than that, does not change or go away. I am NOT using an amp, and the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-1200mp which gives out 14w RMS. The speakers are rated 80w RMS. Would under-powering them be the cause of static? The old stock Clarion 6.5 woofers and tweeters did not have this problem.

Some more clues:

-the noise does not change with the engine noise

-checked all connections, which are soldered or crimped+soldered and taped, nothing touching.

-I unplugged the stock tweeters in the A pillar, and put the new ones in the door pannel, if that matters...

-the passive crossovers that came with the kenwoods have been moved around with no results

-I used the speaker wire that was already in position for the woofers

any ideas? Thanks in advance

More than likely it is the HU.

Esp if the static is consistent at any volume or mode. Just get another random speaker, hook it up to the tweet/mid section of the xover and see if you hear the same thing. If it is, then its definitely the HU, or could possibly be a bad xover.

Id try the HU first, then go on from their. If all else fails, hit me up ill hook you up nicely with some kinda speaker set.

Thanks guys. I'm going to put in a space kenwood HU I have and see if that helps. I tried the Pioneer HU ground RCA trick but did it in a rush so maybe a solid job on that will do the trick.

Not the headunit. Think it must be the factory amp. I unconnected the remote/amp wire in the hardness behind the dash and the static went away, but so did sound to the speakers. While double checking and reconnecting all the groups did nothing.

Can I bypass the amp without rewiring the speakers to the headunit? Or should unplugging the amps input to the headunit do the trick...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.