New setup - sound is extremely "bright"

caverunner17

I picked up my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT on Friday and put in all-new speakers this weekend to replace the stock paper cones that came with it. I'm using the stock head unit with no extra amp. Factory tweeters were just using a resister. Replaced with component sets for the front and coaxial sets for the back.

Although the sound is much cleaner than before, it seems like there is WAY too much treble in my music, something that becomes extremely apparent as I increase volume. I set the front crossovers sets to -3db for the tweeters and have to set the treble to -7 (out of +/- 10) on the head unit to sound halfway decent.

I purchased the following speakers.

Polk DB6501 and Polk DB651

Crutchfield says the speakers are rated for a minimum of 10w... not sure if my headunit outputs that or not. I'm not so wild about getting an external amp as that requires a lot of wiring. I'm not sure if I should return these and get something else

it's an issue of reduced efficiency of the woofers. more power is required for the woofers while less power is required for the tweeters.
The polks are 92/dB.The stock woofers were more efficient? Would going back to stock tweeters fix the problem?

PS I went to school in the QC. Just graduated and miss the small town feel, especially at great river and bent river.

Id turning down the treble still isnt enough, and a new amplifier or crossover isnt in the cards, try a layer or two of grill cloth wrapped over the tweeters. Its sort of ghetto, but if they are hidden, it does do a bit to take the harshness out of a tweeter.

you can adjust tweeter aiming to achieve a lowered output level as well.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

The polks are 92/dB.The stock woofers were more efficient? Would going back to stock tweeters fix the problem?
PS I went to school in the QC. Just graduated and miss the small town feel, especially at great river and bent river.
from QC to Chicago? dude. dream bigger. leave the midwest. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

x2 on adding more power to make the mids come alive. I've heard a few sets of the polk db's and never noticed the tweeters being overly bright. All those sets ups were amped and had loud bass though and that can change how your ear perceives the highs

I'm thinking people may have forgotten all about the fact they will sound less bright and hollow after break in, which at the factory 2wrms will take a while, I would still get an external amplifier though.

I was thinking $100 or less. I don't need 1000w RMS. I'm not looking to blow doors off. Hell, I'd take a quality 4x25RMS. Beats the 4x8W RMS (4x47W peak) I currently have.

I know I need high level inputs.

I was thinking $100 or less. I don't need 1000w RMS. I'm not looking to blow doors off. Hell, I'd take a quality 4x25RMS. Beats the 4x8W RMS (4x47W peak) I currently have.
I know I need high level inputs.

It only does 900 at 1ohm operation..more like 400-600 watts in your case. Once the speakers have been properly installed, it is amazing how much better a system sounds when it is given a decent amount of headroom to work with...I don't care what speakers you use. I would rather enjoy full dynamics at 1/2 volume, with room to get louder myself...

just my .02

GLW Search.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.