To All builders, please provide input

st0n3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I am about to start my 1st ever build. I already had prints made up and likely going to start on the build this weekend.

What type of glue / caulk do you use / recommend?

What size screws (if any) and what type of spacing between them?

Also i seen in build logs where people had sprayed some black stuff in the corners, is that just a sealant or what?

thanks and anxiously looking forward to finally enjoy my system.

I use 1 1/4 inch screws if you are building with 3/4 inch material. I also use predrill all of the wholes so the wood doesnt split and i use extra strength wood glue from lowes or home depot. Then i finish sealing the box with a white call that has a silicon base in with it.

I recently started using a powerful pneumatic staple/brad gun when assembling enclosures just for ease and experiment. I haven't had a problem with any of them yet. Once the glue sets and dries, the screws/brads/staples don't really matter.

Idk what people are spraying in the corners, but most people use a silicone sealer on all of the inside edges to seal the enclosure from leaking air.

I recently started using a powerful pneumatic staple/brad gun when assembling enclosures just for ease and experiment. I haven't had a problem with any of them yet. Once the glue sets and dries, the screws/brads/staples don't really matter.
Idk what people are spraying in the corners, but most people use a silicone sealer on all of the inside edges to seal the enclosure from leaking air.
seen my ports> lol

540731_375721272462527_1250317906_n.jpg

i use 1.5" to 2" brad nails (spaced ~3" apart) unless the person I'm building for request screws. if they request screws, i use either 1 3/4" spax or 2" course thread drywall screws (spaced 5 inches apart). glue, I only use Titebond 2, i tried Gorilla wood glue and Elmer's Wood glue but I find that Titebond 2 get tacky quick. BTW I use a gluebot to spread my glue.

here is a box i did a couple weeks ago, if you look at the inside you see black in the corners. I use a black silicone to seal the edges b/c it's easy to see the spots that you miss.

10ed32d0.jpg

tite bond 2 or gorilla wood glue, I like to go 1.5-2inches in from any corners to avoid splitting, 1 5/8 coarse thread (not fine thread) drywall screws and predrill/countersink the holes then I use dap alex plus silicone on the inside seams.

use something like this to predrill/countersink, they come in different sizes and designs:

%24(KGrHqF,!icE6L8BLQwWBOr,HLD1o!~~60_57.JPG

25270874070_large.jpg

thanks for all the insight.

as for the black stuff, im not sure i seen some build logs and i could see where it looked like some black spray / sealant was sprayed around corners and such inside the box, so wasnt sure what it is.

The black spraued on stuff I have came across a couple of times. I found it to be under body coating from an auto parts store.

Tite bond two glue, coarse thread drywall screws every 4-6 inches, get yourself a combo pilot chamfer deal like shown above and SILICONE sealant and you'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.