Lowes...

prototype561
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I get back home from buying some mdf and getting it cut by Lowes. I pre-assemble the box just to make sure most of the pieces line up some what closely. All the peices of wood were slanted a half inch all the way up to a full inch and there were big gaps between everything. I was like WTF. I'm just baffled by how off the peices are. I have been to home depot for other boxes and all their cuts were fine. I have a jigsaw but its hard to make accurate cuts with them, but I think I could have done better than that. I just don't understand, they have the huge expensive machine thats quite simple to work, just line wood up and move the machine up or down or to the side. Just frustrated that I wasted $50 wood and most of it can't be salvaged because the cuts are way off. End of rant.

They probably did 1 of 2 things (or both):

1. They didn't put a piece of wood under the MDF when they were cutting it on the panel saw so as the blade got towards the bottom the wood slanted a bit

2. They ran the blade back up the wood with the saw ON. You should always run the saw through once, after it's gone all the way through, turn it off, and then bring it back up. I see them do this sometimes and it causes some slanting and miss cuts.

doesnt it say no accurate cuts on the saw? i know my hd by me does.

i just get a sheet cut into 3 pieces big enough to fit in my trunk and use my table saw at home.

Shouldn't ever be more than 1/8th off :/... sorry. 

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Add money for clamps, saw horses and 2x4s. Would be about 100$ to get a setup to do it yourself. However yes you could attain PERFECT cuts.
You can make some homemade sawhorses very cheap. Hell, even a full work bench. You don't need very many clamps either. Get a couple C clamps and some bar clamps and you're all set.

Shouldn't ever be more than 1/8th off :/... sorry. 

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Add money for clamps, saw horses and 2x4s. Would be about 100$ to get a setup to do it yourself. However yes you could attain PERFECT cuts.
2x4's are like $4 build you own saw horse, also clamps are $5 at harbor freight.

To think I was trying to save money by doing the box myself, which I have before with good success. The people around here try and charge at least $250 and up for a 18 box.

doesnt it say no accurate cuts on the saw? i know my hd by me does.i just get a sheet cut into 3 pieces big enough to fit in my trunk and use my table saw at home.
Yeah it does, however 1/2" and angles in the cut is far from saying not accurate lol!

Basically the saw blade has big teeth and the employees could give a fu ck about your material so they are generally around 1/8" off.

Sorry, I wasn't saying it was a bad idea just saying you will need some additional supplies to do it yourself and someone who has never done it before may not know how to set up to get straight cuts with a circular saw.

It wouldn't make sense for me to buy all these tools and build a workshop because I would never use it. This is like my 2nd box I have built in the last 3 yrs. I usually keep my sub(s) for at least a year before I move on to something else.

just re-measured most of the pieces, it seems that most cuts slant to make the piece a half inch to inch larger on the opposite side. Therefor the wood can be salvaged since it slants big instead of small, now finding a way to trim it down to make it the same is another story...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

prototype561

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
prototype561
Albany, GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date