Transaction between myself and rebelfromva

BreakingBad

Banned
pittsburgh
First and foremost this is simply a thread to openly discuss how this transaction was completed and what the end result was to avoid any he said/she said issues. This isn't a positive outcome for the buyer apparently, but unfortunately due to the circumstances surrounding the purchase there's not much that can be done:

Was contacted by rebelfromva to purchase a Deka G31 battery I had for sale. Retails over $200+, was selling for $65 + shipping (@68lbs). After a few PM's Jon decided to buy the battery. I provided a total cost with shipping, but rebelfromva insisted I use his shipping service - which apparently was via a friend or contact who had access to shipping via UPS freight, or something similar (this was not the typical UPS ground). I received a UPS shipping document at my home address to send the item and shipped it from my work location.

Anyway, item was generally overlooked to ensure no obvious issues (item is pictured in my thread), packed in a sturdy box with tons of bubblewrap. We exchanged #'s/gave him my work cell to ensure nothing went wrong. I kept in contact during every step of the shipping process to show good faith.

rebelfromva received the item, and around 10PM I received a text (on my work phone for that matter) saying the post was 'broke off' from the battery. i ask a few questions, eventually receive a picture message (this is around 11PM) and although I was in bed I attempted to assist him with his concern. after seeing the picture message, the post wasn't in fact broke off, the top of it had a 'chip' as if someone was using a wrench a bit too hard, dropped it, etc. there didn't seem to be any indication the battery was non-functional and had plenty of room for a terminal. this conversation goes back and forth for a bit, but i explain to him although I didn't take a magnifying glass to the item before shipping, i believed it to be non-damaged prior to shipping (as image indicates). later that night or the next day ( i can't remember which ) i receive another text saying the OTHER post was 'spinning in place' and he couldn't get the nut off the post. I immediately thought 'does he not realize he can use a wrench to hold the post while he unscrews the nut?' - keep in mind, this is me assuming the battery was damaged somehow.

After bringing all this up, he specifically said in a PM 'it's cool, he'll 'deal with it' just didn't know what to do (essentially saying deal is completed, he understood the issues and would resolve himself). I took a decent amount of time and found him multiple resources online on how to replace posts in a battery, other options if he didn't want to attempt a fix himself, he can file a claim with UPS as UPS may have damaged or dropped it in transit, that he could re-sell it if he didn't want to fix it, etc. Due to the extreme weight of the item and the fact that there was no insurance purchased on the item (due to him insisting on using his own method of shipping) along with the fact there is no way to 100% positively indicate where the 'damage' occurred (prior to or after shipping), I explained I cannot accept the item back due to those reasons. I also explained I did not see any damage upon my inspection, and the battery pictured in my thread was the one that i shipped to buyer (as i had 2 for sale).

After more PM's, rebelfromva would essentially not acknowledge most of what I said and would reply back as if we hadn't discussed anything as far as getting his problem resolved. After sending him an almost 1 or 2 page response to explain what his options were, he simply responded 'i tried calling places nobody will fix it now what?' - even knowing I JUST sent him a message letting him know other options (ups claim, resell it, etc.) I went above and beyond to help him because i understood that the item was apparently in non-perfect condition, with the possibility of it being damaged after being received. Item WAS tested with multimeter and functional before shipping. From his responses I believe he was simply ignoring my help and trying to elude to myself being the source of the damage rather than acknowledge my help, understand the situation, take responsibility and deal with it like he promised me in a previous message.

I DO want to stress that his payment was prompt, communication at first was good, but the second issues apparently arose, the quality of the interaction on his end went downhill. I do not believe this warrants a negative review for rebelfromva, but at the same time I personally wouldn't do business again because of the negative outcome (not necessarily his fault). I do feel though rebelfromva should have attempted to think more about his options, acknowledged my help and stood by his word that he would 'deal with it', especially after he refused my shipping option (which was with insurance). He has not asked to return the item, but I did explain that returning it was not an option due to the circumstances. I also was essentially forced to stop responding to his PM's because they were erratic, again not acknowledging my responses and was basically pointing fingers whether directly or indirectly. I advised him I was considering the deal over with, completed, primarily due to the fact there is no way to know where supposed damage occurred, he declined my shipping (which would've had insurance) and told me he would deal with it himself.

You also said in your thread you only had pic of 1 batt bc one was packed away. If it were the shipping companies fault there would be the chipped part of the post inside the shipping box as the package was not damaged as I sent to you via pm. I said I would deal with it in trying your method of getting it fixed but after research my options came up short on the actual situation that is wrong with the battery.

PMs shared

me to breakingbad all were made after told to return to pms and not texting

1)Well you seen the pics. I'm not trying to be an *** or out to get anyone but as of right now I can't use this batt. If I can fix it that's cool and I'd really like to fix it lol bc it is a beast of a batt. Let me know your thoughts

2)I looked around and couldn't find a specific video on repairing the post like the one on this batt. I don't see how I'm going to get the one post out or the nut off of it if it's just spinning in the batt terminal hole.

3)I understand the chipped post part but what about the other terminal that is just spinning in the battery?

4)what I'm saying is in that one pic with the nut still on the post. The nut is stuck on the post and the post is just spinning in place. I don't think its going to come off therefore it not able to be used. I'm not trying to scam you or anyone else on here. Haven't really had any problems on here at all. I just want to figure out how I am going to fix it so I can use it.

5)Called around and local battery places say they don't fix that. Just double checked the inside of the box for broken off post pieces and came up with nothing. The package was pretty well packed I must say so idk how it would have gotten messed up during shipping and then to leave no evidence at that?

6)You said in your post one batt was already packaged up so that's why you only had pics of one of the batts. If you look at the pic of the post with the nut on it you will notice there is no room to put a wrench, pliers, clamp, etc on it so how do you suggest I get it off? You keep saying its an easy fix, if so why am I having trouble finding info on how to fix battery post and an actual battery store does not fix them?

From breakingbad to me in response

1)Well, looking at it from my perspective to protect my own *** I should have inspected it before just packing it up and shipping it out, and because of that is why I offered to shoot you a few bucks to cover materials to fix it. From an objective point of view the damage could've occurred prior to shipping, during shipping, or after you received it. Those are the 3 possibilities. Now I'm not saying you intentionally damaged it by any means, nor am I blaming UPS, but those are the possibilities and there is no real way to determine where the damage occurred -for sure-...

These batteries retail for over $200...a lot have them for $240+. Even if you paid $40 in shipping charges, you got the battery for less than half of retail. Being you used someone with access to shipping via ups worldship, you probably didn't pay that much. All in all, 70/80 bucks for a $250 battery is a hell of a deal.

I would suggest contacting a local audio install shop or specialty shop to see if they will do the repair for you if you don't want to fix it yourself. All it requires is some tools and the ability to want to do things yourself...it's literally a couple dollars for the parts and maybe 20 30 minutes of your time from what I saw, you just need to take the time, read the walk throughts, watch the videos, etc. A quick google search pulled up at least a half dozen youtube videos where they will step by step show you how to do it.

I understand the position this puts you in, having a battery you cannot use. It's a rock and a hard spot, I really do apologize but it honestly is just one of those things where there's no real way to resolve it being it's 2nd hand equipment, sold as-is and the damage could've occurred anywhere. I really do suggest you just repair the post yourself, it's not a very in-depth task and as a worse case if you don't want to deal with it, post it up for sale here. I'm sure someone with the know how would take it off your hands and repair it if you sold it for $50 or something. If you really want to pursue it via UPS, you can file a claim with them as well. I'm sorry it turned out like this, but at this point the deal is done, nothing I can do beyond getting you a few dollars as a courtesy to help cover materials to fix. Send me your paypal e-mail if you want me to shoot you $5, otherwise like I said your options are repair it yourself, contact a 3rd party to do the repairs, file a claim with UPS or re-sell it. You have 4 options...good luck and again sorry for the inconvenience.

2)Listen, as a courtesy I acknowledged your concern and attempted to help but bottom line there are people out there who's sole goal is to scam people, especially off forums, ebay, craigslist, etc. I have no idea who you are, so I can't trust you and you can't trust me. It's basically a rock and a hard spot like I told you in my last message. I did not intentionally try to sell you damaged equipment. From what I saw when I shipped it out, it was in good condition/not damaged. I've went above and beyond giving you tips on how to handle the situation, but it's $60 battery with a chipped post (that could've occurred anywhere), and to be honest from your pictures there's enough room to attach power wire w/terminal anyway...if you want things to be perfect, get it repaired. If not utilize what you got or i suggest filing a claim with UPS or re-sell it to someone who will take the time to fix it.

3)Use a multimeter and test the voltage. As long as the voltage is in range, you're fine. If you're adament on making things perfect, get it repaired

4)Man, I've gone over this with you multiple times. I cannot keep spending time discussing an issue in which I have helped you beyond what was required of me, and provided you multiple options and resources to fix the issues you claim occurred prior to shipping. You are trying to pinpoint the issue and say it must have been done prior to shipping, when the picture on the thread shows a battery with undamaged posts and I didn't notice any damage during packing the item. Again, this could of been done at many different points and there is no way to know exactly when. Like I said, just as you are claiming the damage could've been done prior to shipping, you made the statement in a previous PM that the post was 'spinning', and you couldn't get the nut off. Clearly you aren't even aware that using a wrench to hold the post and a wrench to unscrew the nut is the way to fix that, so from an unbiased perspective you really don't know your way around tools which aludes to the fact that the damage could've been done after you received the battery.

Now I'm not one to point fingers, nor am I saying you are at fault, but this is up to YOU to fix if there truly is damage. I am now considering this deal completed, I have offered you multiple resources, I have coached you (which is more than some other random people do on the internet) and you still seem to reply without acknowledging any of my responses and keep trying to point fingers. Please do not respond to this message as no future messages will be acknowledged.

5)i posted a review of our transaction.

i suggest you figure the rest out yourself because you acknowledged these apparent 'issues' and said you would deal with it yourself in your PM to me. i provided you more than enough help. good luck, and goodbye.

That being said,those 2 pics and a few better pics will be posted shortly. Not by any means am I looking to scam you. I did the research you told me to do to go about fixing it and came up empty handed. The issue I have is receiving a 70+ pound brick in the mail. I would like to have the issue resolved in the manner of being able to use the battery but from the issues that are wrong with the battery as of right now when I received it it is unusable. The pics will give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

1818664b.jpg

7bfc86fb.jpg

4b3d8319.jpg

2126a3da.jpg

2ae94f07.jpg

ffef2f3a.jpg

cd0c2812.jpg

again no post pieces were found inside the box the battery was packaged in and no visible damage was done to the box. you be the judge for yourself on this one. If anyone has any knowledge of how to fix these post please let me know. I just want to be able to use the battery but as of right now it is not usable

It doesn't matter man. You specifically said in a PM you understood the situation and that you would deal with it. That right there negates any responsibility on my end and leaves it up to you to repair. No matter how many pictures you post or claims you make, the situation is you accepted the item with the apparent 'defects' and said you'd handle it. You can't change your mind after you've accepted responsibility. Keep in mind you are grasping at straws saying the battery you got wasn't the one in the picture and that it HAD to of happened prior to shipping. What about you getting the battery and screwing it on a bad install? Not pointing fingers but you need to understand this is now a he said she said, which I've attempted to avoid.

I would've seen a melted post before I shipped it out. You've had the battery in your possession long enough to have caused those issues with say, a rushed install or improper install as that only takes SECONDS to happen. No amount of bickering back and forth will change anything. I posted this to say my peace, and I have.

It doesn't matter man. You specifically said in a PM you understood the situation and that you would deal with it. That right there negates any responsibility on my end and leaves it up to you to repair. No matter how many pictures you post or claims you make, the situation is you accepted the item with the apparent 'defects' and said you'd handle it. You can't change your mind after you've accepted responsibility. Keep in mind you are grasping at straws saying the battery you got wasn't the one in the picture and that it HAD to of happened prior to shipping. What about you getting the battery and screwing it on a bad install? Not pointing fingers but you need to understand this is now a he said she said, which I've attempted to avoid.
I would've seen a melted post before I shipped it out. You've had the battery in your possession long enough to have caused those issues with say, a rushed install or improper install as that only takes SECONDS to happen. No amount of bickering back and forth will change anything. I posted this to say my peace, and I have.
I was under the impression that with the info you provided I could fix it. After looking into it there is no way to fix it. The battery has been sitting in the same spot since I've taken it out the box right next to all my 0g/amp/sub which I have not recieved my box for yet. So your install theory is no good. I texted you the night I recieved it saying there was a problem. I had my son that day so I really wasn't able to mess with a 70 pound battery til he went to sleep. People have lives outside car audio and can't just jump on something the minute it comes in the mail

Yeah, at this point it leads me to believe that the battery pictured by rebelfromva is NOT the one i shipped. I was there when the installers uninstalled it, i packed it all up myself and took it home. There was no chipped post, there was no melted posts, etc. I'm going to stand by my claim that doesn't even look like my battery, and I hope this isn't some sort of scam where dude has an older shot battery and trying to get one over on my by receiving a good battery then returning me a defective one.

This is again a he said she said. Done.
It has nothing to do with he said she said. I received the battery fvcked up. No damage to the box and it was well packaged/ cushioned with all the bubble wrap you put in it. No broken pieces of battery inside said box. You said it could be fixed but with research I did I couldn't find a solution. What else do you want me to do? Paid nearly 100 for a brick that I can't use as of right now. I shouldn't even have to worry about fixes a product I received that was claimed to be not abused and works 100% no issues.

Yeah, at this point it leads me to believe that the battery pictured by rebelfromva is NOT the one i shipped. I was there when the installers uninstalled it, i packed it all up myself and took it home. There was no chipped post, there was no melted posts, etc. I'm going to stand by my claim that doesn't even look like my battery, and I hope this isn't some sort of scam where dude has an older shot battery and trying to get one over on my by receiving a good battery then returning me a defective one.
You said in your thread you didn't take a pic of the other battery.

Something shady is going on here. Who is it though? Rebel wouldn't have two batteries either so... A few weeks ago at the show he was just talking about looking for batteries soon. I check CL locally for batts and such all the time and one never came up. So the only way he could have gotten one was pay full price or buy one on here which he did not before this deal.

Op do I need to post a screenshot with your number on here saying you had it in the back of your trailblazer as a backup?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BreakingBad

Banned
BreakingBad
pittsburgh
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views