Jbl 14001

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just looking at the 300 watt difference in power says it is a 4ohm designed amp. I would not do it. Even the slight difference in 2ohm power suggests only a .5 db increase in output, all else being equal, which is inaudible. But the added distortion would likely be. That JBL is a very good amp. I would run both subs on the amp at 4 ohms.

I was planning on only powering one BA 555 off one of these, but a few more fell into my lap so I really wanted to power two of them of this but didn't want to underpower them by that much... might have to sell that and the GT-28 I have and get a 2k+ amp at 1 ohm...

If under powering them would somehow diminish the sq, I would find another sub. If they are decent subs the only difference between 300 watts ea and 600 watts ea would be the output volume. Are you planning to compete, or do you have too much front stage for the subs to keep up with less than 1000w ea?

I'm just used to having two of them in a ported box with a GT-28 to each at 2 ohms... going sealed sounds nicer but it's definitely not as loud... might just go back to ported, I'll see how loud and good they sound tonight after work when I go from one to two... I have 4, 555's just sitting around, if the new car had better electrical I would just say eff it and throw all for in there...

Underpowering obviously won't hurt them but from my experience they like to be at or near rated power. That said I never ran mine ported so it may be different

They sound awesome at power ported, but still sounded decent on 600 RMS a piece ported... but sealed I think it will be a different story...

It doesn't state not 1 ohm stable anywhere... I'm just assuming it's not. I have a ported box for two of them and a sealed box for two of them, sealed box for one and ported box for one so I can try it out until I get the best sound for the space...

Hey guys just got the amp and I thought it was a monochannel amp but it has left right input and 2 speaker out put? How should I go about wiring this thing up? Each sub to

It's own channel or wire them in series so theyre at 4 ohm?

Hey guys just got the amp and I thought it was a monochannel amp but it has left right input and 2 speaker out put? How should I go about wiring this thing up? Each sub toIt's own channel or wire them in series so theyre at 4 ohm?
L/R stereo inputs..it sums mono internally. The 2 speaker outputs are for ease of installation when using multiple subs ...but yes, series for the 4ohm load, if they are 2ohm subs.

So I shouldn't install each sub into its own channel? If i do that the amp will see a 2 ohm sub at each channel instead of "one" sub at 4 ohm?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.