Eff ports.

Still dialing it in, but just so you guys know how super easy and awesome it is to figure up moving mass for tuning a PR, here's the "Quick and easy" version of the formula.

f89e063d.jpg

Anyway... here's the sexiness. It's moving some shit. Currently running that Tantric HD 10 on a 4k @ 5 :)

05d9fa37.jpg

a39e6e9d.jpg

03c68aa9.jpg

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

I've always wanted to use a pr. Is it possible to blow them? Like over excurt them and damage soft parts? How are they sounding?

EDIT:Oh and your sub is upside down :p:

carlton-dance_o_gifsoup-com.gif?w=320&h=239

The Carlton: Entertaining yo momma since 1990

whats the point of a PR?

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee

HU- pioneer 80prs

Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.

FS Amp- B2 Quattro

Sub Amp-B2 Zero1

Subs- Tantric HDD 12's

box - 4.5^3 32hz

Play output the sub can't exactly handle well.

welcome to

bdb161aa6d7a4721a18441f.png

Where b-stock is the new a-stock

TEAM WEST

I've always wanted to use a pr. Is it possible to blow them? Like over excurt them and damage soft parts? How are they sounding?

EDIT:Oh and your sub is upside down :p:

I seriously doubt it if your system is designed correctly. That's one of the reasons behind having at least double the Sd or double the excursion for your passives.

whats the point of a PR?

No port noise, crap ton of "port area" without having to snake a huge port around in the box, smaller box because you don't have to account for port displacement.

Basically... all the advantages of a vented alignment without any of the downsides.

There are only two disadvantages of a PR... they rolloff faster below tuning... and the cost. That's it.

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

Which PR's are those? They look similar enough to my old Assassins...might want to get one or two. I know AE had some 15" and 18" PR's for pretty cheap, but IIRC they were not adjustable.

2,500+ designs since March 2011

Which PR's are those? They look similar enough to my old Assassins...might want to get one or two. I know AE had some 15" and 18" PR's for pretty cheap, but IIRC they were not adjustable.

These were custom built for me by Tantric like, yesterday. Just don't have the stickers yet. Murph said he wasn't going to take credit for them until I got them dialed in and wrecking shit. Lol.

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

So thats really just a woofer minus the motor and coil and you add/subtract mass in place of where the coil would be to "tune"?

giphy.gif

So thats really just a woofer minus the motor and coil and you add/subtract mass in place of where the coil would be to "tune"?

Yes, it works just like a port. Except in this case the relationship between the box volume, cone area of the PR, and moving mass of the PR will affect the tuning frequency that you end up with.

I'd love to run passives but ports are sooo much cheaper.

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay

Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek

Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

I had some of the TC Sounds VMP's years ago when they were having a sale(Maybe 6 years ago?). I sold them right before TC decided to jack all their prices up... :(

I hear ya. They're not cheap. But my very picky and specific set of needs/wants for that stupid little build was giving me fits trying to do a port.

Plus, I've been wanting to do PR's for a while.

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

I hear ya. They're not cheap. But my very picky and specific set of needs/wants for that stupid little build was giving me fits trying to do a port.

Plus, I've been wanting to do PR's for a while.

Keeping space costs money! One of these days I'll justify spending the money on passives... Nice build BTW.

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay

Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek

Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

Keeping space costs money! One of these days I'll justify spending the money on passives... Nice build BTW.

Thanks, man. I haven't built a "sealed" box in forever. I was like... "Wait... thats it?"

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

I have some PR's here that I've been sitting on for years. Always meant to make a box for them. Very useful if you want to tune low in a small volume.

I have some PR's here that I've been sitting on for years. Always meant to make a box for them. Very useful if you want to tune low in a small volume.

That's my whole M-O in my daily. I very, very rarely have more than 2 cubes in my trunk and tuning for

The one thing I ran into with this one is because of the baffle space required and the depth I wanted, the box turned out huge. I had to eat up a ton of airspace with big ass 45's in the corners. It's actually still too big for my liking. A redesign may be in order, but I haven't given up on this one yet.

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

why 45s in the corners?

Get some vids bro, i bet it sounds good.

REFS:

Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)

sorry man but ford will always be a ford. ford is the sony xplod of cars and trucks. you had bad experiences with chevy because your a ford guy. its what seperates the men from the boys. friend billy use to drive a ford. he drives a chevy now. they call him billy no more. hes known as bill now..

I want to say Thank you. Passives are one of the most overlooked designs...and always have been in car audios. Now, SHOW ME THE #'s ALREADY...bro.

funny-gifs-animation-actor-comedy-wind-man-sitting-armchair.gif
"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Yes, it works just like a port. Except in this case the relationship between the box volume, cone area of the PR, and moving mass of the PR will affect the tuning frequency that you end up with.

I always though the function of adding/subtracting weight was to tune the Mms of the PR as close to the MMs of the Subwoofer as possible..as you said, the idea is to have the PR replicate the inward stroke to produce sound just like a port. I may be mistaken, but doesn't a properly tuned PR setup actually give the same output as a ported design, but across the whole response curve instead of a specific frequency?

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

I think the result of the more output in the lower octaves is due to the added cone area

hmm..maybe I am wrong on some things...I don't know much about them anyways..here is a good read. - HUMAN Speakers: What is a passive radiator?

you can also tune them to lower fs not just to match your sub i think

REFS:

Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)

sorry man but ford will always be a ford. ford is the sony xplod of cars and trucks. you had bad experiences with chevy because your a ford guy. its what seperates the men from the boys. friend billy use to drive a ford. he drives a chevy now. they call him billy no more. hes known as bill now..

[quote name='ThatChevyGuy']you can also tune them to lower fs not just to match your sub i think[/QUOTE]

yea..I read that...I left my last posts just to just to say, "oops, i was wrong"..I am real curious of the outcome on @TaylorFade this little project.

Dont PR's need to be a little bigger then the sub our using? Such as a 12" PR for a 10" sub?

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________

-Head Unit: Kenwood DNX-692HD_____________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100

-Sub Stage: Focal KX40 16"_________________ -Sub Stage: Looking

-Mids/Highs: Focal KRX & PHD AF____________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt

-Sub Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)

-Mid Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Mid Amp: ^^^