Ford Excursion Build

galacticmonkey
5,000+ posts

Wants a button like that.
Tampa, FL
This is my new truck. 2000 Ford Excursion Limited. Its a 4x4 and it has the 7.3l Powerstroke engine. Wont have the loudest bass around, but should still be a cool build.

May not be the fastest build log around, but eventually it will all be completed the way I want it.

The truck.

aca90bdb.jpg

7e827993.jpg

New radio. Pioneer AVH-P2400BT. Got it from Buzz at A.V.E., down in Clearwater, FL. If you live in the area, they have some serious pricing down there. If you need any Pioneer/Kenwood/Rockford/Focal/Viper/Precision Power/etc, give them a call. Its nearly Ebay pricing, except from an authorized retailer. (727) 726-8332

71ef4943.jpg

Took my door off the other day to see how bad the install from the previous owner (maybe shop?) looked. This is what I saw. Anyway, ripped all that crap out to start fresh.

264b67da.jpg

This is the space Im working with. I have a ton of room behind the 3rd row, and will be running my 15 on low power, so I went big on the box to make up for lack of power. Box is around 6.1-6.2 cubes, and tuned to about 32hz. Havent built a ported box in a long time. Almost did a 4th order, but wanted to see the **** cone of the sub. The box is no masterpiece, but it should get the job done.

2eabdace.jpg

ffdd276d.jpg

These are the RCAs I ordered. They are Stinger Pro 20' 6ch. Look pretty nice.

597bbff3.jpg

This is the amp going in for the 15. I'm sure some of you remember them. We're real popular a few years back.

8f0773b3.jpg

Got everything else I need. Went back down to Buzz at AVE again and picked up some speaker wire. Some 12ga and 16ga for my mids and tweets.

Also picked up my sub and some Audiotechnix 1/0 OFC from Robin. Wire looks real nice. As flexible as any Ive ever used. Awesome pricing on it too, cheapest real 0ga OFC Ive seen that has a quality jacket, high strand count, and flexibility. He also did a killer job on the recone for the BTL.

I hope this is enough wire for a set of loud front doors. Will eventually need more for the back doors and sub.

d6904f04.jpg

Loving the white cone with CF cap. PSI reconed BTL.

8fe289c5.jpg

2ca2c252.jpg

Looks nice, honestly a bit surprised that this isn't going to be a huge build knowing you lol. In for this for sure, I'm curious to see how low that 15 will dig with the box that huge.

I will eventually get a C pillar wall, but the focus is going to be on highs.
There ya go lol. I know you had said at one point you don't like low cone high power setups. How much space in all do you have behind the c pillar?

Theres a ton of room in the back. I did some measuring, and I could fit 6 15s ported behind the 3rd row all day with a box hat just slides in from the rear.

As for up to the second row, did some measuring from that. The super easy measurements that would slide in no question, and still have a good bit of extra room for play would easily be 53+ cubes, while still leaving room for batteries in the back.

Got the radio out and ran RCAs and the speaker wire/remote wire on the drivers side so far. They cut up the dash pretty bad when the previous owner had it.

461cd2b5.jpg

05ac2e2d.jpg

Well the batteries in the truck are shot. Noticed it was around 12v at idle the other day, but didnt think much of it. Figured it might just be hot. As of tonight, it wont start even when the Avalanche was jumping it with its 270a Powermaster alternator.

Instead of doing more wiring tomorrow, Im going to have to run down to Square Deal and buy two batteries. Probably going to be a pair of Deka Group 31s under the hood.

Anyway, got the radio in. It is sooooo sick. Not able to play with it now, since the batteries are so dead that it wont even turn on, but I got a quick demo of the bluetooth feature for music a little earlier and it rocked. Ran the mic for the telephone... Really curious to see how the quality is on that. Still need to put a trim ring around it.

0fec4c0d.jpg

Also, bought 2 mids to start test fitting the doors. Hopefully each front door will have 1 15" BW and 2 12" BWs, along 3-4 bullet tweets... Maybe horns if Im lucky and have the depth. Tested them on around 75-80w each and they are LOUD.

419bc8b0.jpg

Yeah, these Peaveys are pretty awesome. Definitely cant wait to run a few out back. Was thinking of 6 Peavey 15s or 4 Peavey 18s with some 2" throat horns. Would be pretty insane.

Well I havent updated this or taken many pictures, but I ran all the speaker wire for the doors when they get done (a 12ga and 16ga into each door).

823e8c51.jpg

Then I put the sub/amp in. Sounds pretty good. Snapped a pic of it on my phone when it was playing. Thought it looked cool.

d7674570.jpg

I still never even posted a picture of the box in the vehicle. Ill get one next time Im in my truck. Anyway, metered it. Still just the simple box with the single 15 on the Clarion 1500 at 1ohm behind the 3rd row.

9858e903.jpg

Happy with the number, but not the sound, so the box is getting hacked up and changed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.