Need feedback on plasmas

Calikid
5,000+ posts

Stack That Paper
Los Angeles
Im planning on purchasing the Plasma below, i've never owned a plasma so i would like to know what you guys think about them. I own both an LED and LCD tv's and love the picture on both of them and haven't gotten any issues yet (knocks on wood). Do plasmas still have the issues with ghosting and producing alot of heat?? or have things changed?

here's the link:

here

I have a newer model samsung plasma. It doesn't get hot & there is certainly no ghosting, couldn't be happier with it. The only thing you should be aware of is most have a glass panel, so you can get some reflections if the viewing area isn't set up correctly or you have a big window in the room & no way to block the light. Plasma tech has come a long way in the past several years. Go for it IMO.

I have a newer model samsung plasma. It doesn't get hot & there is certainly no ghosting, couldn't be happier with it. The only thing you should be aware of is most have a glass panel, so you can get some reflections if the viewing area isn't set up correctly or you have a big window in the room & no way to block the light. Plasma tech has come a long way in the past several years. Go for it IMO.
thats good to know. i do have windows in my room which is where it will be, but that is easy to take care of..

Plasmas have had and still have superior picture quality to LCD; But you have to compare apples to apples, you can't compare a budget level RCA brand plasma to a high end Samsung LCD lol. Each has there tradeoffs, but most home theater enthusiasts go with high end plasma.

All Plasmas use phosphor lining in the cells to generate color. Each cell is controlled individually. Color is vibrant, contrast ratio is great.

Plasma suffer the same issues as cathode ray tubs as it relates to color fading. Phosphor doesn't last forever, but they are creative now.

LCD has to use LED backlighting to achieve higher contrast ratios.

I have an older Panasonic plasma and I love it.

My folks have a new LG LCD TV and it's terrible. Everything looks like a soap opera or something. Makes movie watching distracting.

And not that matters unless your throwing the television remote, but Plasma's tend to be more durable. Ive seen a Wii remote go through an LCD like a hot knife through butter.. When I bought my plasma the associate as Hell-Mart was punching (PUNCHING) the screen to show its durability.

DISCLAIMER: The plasma that was being punched was a display model, not the one I actually purchased. Also food for thought for those of you who purchase display model anything...

meh plasma's have burn in issue's but do have a better picture... if your a gamer i'd get lcd or led though... i have 2 50in plasma's one in living room and one in game room, and a 40in lcd in bedroom.. i personly like the plasma's better but wife likes the lcd..

just dont leave your game on pause for long periods of time.. or movie, or anything for that matter. Burn in isnt an issue if the tv is turned off while not being used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.