Question about wiring!

Jaguar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
GA
One of my subwoofers was not kicking out bass unless I turned the volume way up. I thought it could be a blown subwoofer , not the case. Turns out one of the connectors on my fosgate wire leading into the amp was bad. My dealer put a double connector on the connector that was working as shown in the photo below. My question is although he did this and both subs are pounding again, is the audio still reaching the correct left and right channels? If you KNOW what your talking about would it be better to have the wire completely replaced. If so why. Thank you.

aac81zuY.jpg

One of my subwoofers was not kicking out bass unless I turned the volume way up. I thought it could be a blown subwoofer , not the case. Turns out one of the connectors on my fosgate wire leading into the amp was bad. My dealer put a double connector on the connector that was working as shown in the photo below. My question is although he did this and both subs are pounding again, is the audio still reaching the correct left and right channels? If you KNOW what your talking about would it be better to have the wire completely replaced. If so why. Thank you.
aac81zuY.jpg

good question, Your sub outs are color coded for Left and Right Stereo operation. Some songs are recorded with the bass frequencies in mono....and some are not. The test would be play different songs and try to notice if it cuts out , or you feel the subs lost output in one area of a song vs before the rewire...Long story short, yes, replace the patch cable. Rockford makes good amps. I think Monster Cable makes better patch cables....IMO

To know which side you are playing on, use the L/R balance control to determine the disconnected side.

[quote name='quackhead']good question, Your sub outs are color coded for Left and Right Stereo operation. Some songs are recorded with the bass frequencies in mono....and some are not. The test would be play different songs and try to notice if it cuts out , or you feel the subs lost output in one area of a song vs before the rewire...Long story short, yes, replace the patch cable. Rockford makes good amps. I think Monster Cable makes better patch cables....IMO
To know which side you are playing on, use the L/R balance control to determine the disconnected side.[/QUOTE]
Ok finally home after rolling almost all day. So @quackhead, your advice was to get the patch wire my guy put on there replaced or the entire fosgate wire? Maybe someone out there can answer this question but my first assumption was that it would be impossible to have specific differentiating audio rhythms meant to hit either left or right (or both speakers) if that new lead rca double connector was connected solely to the left. Maybe someone can answer that?

And PS: to quackhead. Yes I tried as you suggested to see if certain bass rhythms were missing or conjoined by hooking up the wires both ways. Inconclusive. More testing needs to be done tomorrow. Let you know what happens. By the way I actually asked my guy if the bass would be separated to correctly to it's individual channels. He said yes but, not sure what to think. He's like a little Bumble bee in that shop one project to the next. He usually takes time to talk to me throughout everything somehow. Not sure if he would lie to me, but, the fact of the matter is that information may not be as priority to him as to me.

well unless you have a mono out on the head unit and they ran a harness up front a lot like the one that's on there now at the amp end you are losing some signal, what he did is a band aid at best! I would replace them asap.

[quote name='Jaguar']Ok finally home after rolling almost all day. So @quackhead, your advice was to get the patch wire my guy put on there or the entire fosgate wire? Maybe someone out there can answer this question but my first assumption was that it would be impossible to have specific differentiating audio rhythms meant to hit either left or right (or both speakers) if that new lead rca double connector was connected solely to the left. Maybe someone can answer that?

And PS: to quackhead. Yes I tried as you suggested to see if certain bass rhythms were missing or conjoined by hooking up the wires both ways. Inconclusive. More testing needs to be done tomorrow. Let you know what happens. By the way I actually asked my guy if the bass would be separated to correctly to it's individual channels. He said yes but, not sure what to think. He's like a little Bumble bee in that shop one project to the next. He usually takes time to talk to me throughout everything somehow. Not sure if he would lie to me, but, the fact of the matter is that information may not be as priority to him as to me.
[/QUOTE]

Buy a new set of Monster Cable rca's and give the guy back his Y-adapter was my actual suggestion, if in fact, a faulty RCA is the culprit....

The monoblock design combines the L/R input signals inside the amps' input section....except for one that I know of. Some of the Stetsom monoblocks have 1 single RCA input, in which case you would indeed need the Y-adapter you bought.(actually it would require a FFxM

[quote name='quackhead']Buy a new set of Monster Cable rca's and give the guy back his Y-adapter was my actual suggestion, if in fact, a faulty RCA is the culprit....[/QUOTE]
Lot of information, not really sure I'm ready to understand it all being that I am a mere beginner.

@quackhead are you suggesting I should buy something like this (see photo below), or replace the entire power line fosgate wire with a new one?
IL101XLN-Y-1F.jpg

What i'll do for now is do more testing to see if any alternating additional rhythms are being lost by him puting a small rca y connector to the right subwoofer power line in. Not really sure if by doing this if the rhythms of bass are joined mono (as opposed to the audio information going out into separate channels just because he put a y connector on the left channel). The problem was definitely the wiring. As I had previously stated the bass would in one of the line leading into the amp would not start hitting until I turned the volume past 30-35. The way he had the amp wired down was actually smashed on top of all the wires, so that could have been a reason for the short. I need to remount my amp. Doesn't seem like the right thing to do, to have the amp screwed down on top of the wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always buy my patch cables from walmart (scosche) ive had the same set since 07 in and out of 6 different cars.. never had a problem
Sure. But do patch cables work? That's my only question. The information leading to either subwoofer needs to be preserved if the actually audio information is reverting alternately from sub to sub during different beats. By hooking up a small rca patch leading solely from the right speaker, somehow I kind of doubt it, I don't know, that's why I asked. Really I still don't know. In any case the original fosgate wire is still good, the only thing is I have to turn the audio up to 30-35 for it to kick in both subwoofers, then I can turn it down and it seems fine. I have to do more testing. So far it's inconclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on your deck , some are mono outputs for the subs and some are stereo
How can I check. Anyway without pulling out my stereo system. My amp is a 2 Channel amp, I would imagine it was wired for stereo...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.