Anyone use a "sonosub" for their car audio?

greyhnd
10+ year member

I've been doing some reading and studying on the use of "sonotube" for building sub enclosures. I had an old 12" Pioneer woofer here and decided to take a stab at the project. I haven't tried it in the Jeep yet, but I've hooked it up to my home stereo and I'm surprised at how good it sounds.

I already had the woofer and some MDF and 3/4" plywood scraps. A 4 ft length of 12" diameter sonotube cost me a bit over $6. Took about 2 hours to make the darn thing. Stands about 24" tall, is sealed up tight. They can be either sealed or ported with good results. This is a passive enclosure, so not like the Bazooka enclosures that are powered.

The real test will be when I can put some dedicated power to it in my Jeep. Just thought mentioning it might gives others here an option if the budget is tight.

Read the title of the thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
That just re-affirms he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That just re-affirms he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
He said it in quotes, it's acceptable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I have seen several sonotube boxes used. Some sq guys like them becaue they say the rounded tube doesnt have any standing ways like a regular box would have. Cant speak on that, but certainly have seen the sonotubes from Lowes being used.

Much of the benefit is lost in a car. Unlike in a home where a tall pillar takes up just a small footprint in a corner, in a car there's just no way to make a cylinder efficienty use space.

Though if you're into sealed encloures and the size/shape isn't a problem for you it would do the same as the same volume of MDF or plywood if done properly.

snoopdan - I appreciate your informative replies. Very helpful and they hit the nail on the head. Hopefully one of these days you'll have a questions and I can return the favor with such an insightful response.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments. I'm perfectly aware that tube enclosures have been used for a long time. I'm curious if they live up to their merits in a car audio environment. I thought it might also remind others that there are options available if the budget is limited and they don't have the skills to build a proper conventional box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.