Painting Your Car's Carpet 101!

djm4rshm2llow
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Okay guys, I have wanted to change my carpet color for a long time. My car had hideous stained up tan carpet. 10 years will do that to a floor. After a battery tipped over and spilled acid all over my passenger side I figured it was time for new carpet.

I purchased used carpet off of Ebay but it was gray. (There are very few places to get my carpet for less than 500 bucks.)

After researching, I realized how incredibly little info was on the internet about changing your carpet color.

I watched this video and got hyped up originally...

dce94fb0.jpg

dce94fb0.jpg

9c756696.jpg

8681152c.jpg

Here's a close up of the fibers. It doesn't dry hard and tacky. Mine feels like carpet should feel like. In fact it is softer than my old carpet was lol.

ad0c2ef5.jpg

It took about 30 minutes to dry and I was good to go.

I did not take pictures of me ripping out my old carpet. Mostly because it was such a pain and utter misery in 90 degree Louisiana heat. But after a days worth of work and a race to beat the the sun going down....

Here's the results.

93ac0677.jpg

dddc908b.jpg

I think it looks great.

I am not going to lie, the project was a pain when it came to ripping out the old carpet and putting in the new. I feel even worse for the people who have to take out their old to paint it and put it back in.

But on the bright side I got paid to do it. As I found around 20 bucks in change under my seats and what not lol.

Hope this helps you guys it, it's a good little project for someone trying to make their car look alot better but not having a huge pocket book.

I have also noticed that if you bend it while putting it in it shifts the fibers and can show the old color. I am going to try to touch it up with out taking it out the car and report back with the results. You can see what I am talking about on the left side by the gas and trunk lever.

Do you think it would help to use a stiff bristle brush to pull it back as you spray it from say four directions/coats from front to back, back to front, left to right and right to left? This looks like an awesome product if there was a way to get a really even coverage! BTW your came out quite nice! Now it time to see how well it holds up! might help to throw down some floor mats to reduce wear in the high traffic spots.

Do you think it would help to use a stiff bristle brush to pull it back as you spray it from say four directions/coats from front to back, back to front, left to right and right to left? This looks like an awesome product if there was a way to get a really even coverage! BTW your came out quite nice! Now it time to see how well it holds up! might help to throw down some floor mats to reduce wear in the high traffic spots.
Floor mats are definitively coming soon, just trying to find some decent quality ones because my last ones ******. As for the brush, i have no idea. I think this worked pretty good for what i did lol.

In for seeing how durable it is. Have you considered doing the seats?

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

I assuming there isn't much odor? I would be afraid to drive after having the car locked up all night and pass out while driving.
lol pussy itt...I remember when my car used to reek of fiberglass resin for weeks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.