looking for some 8 inch sub suggestions

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
ok so im looking at picking up a pair of 8 inch subs. one for my home theater and one for my car. as of right now i am just trying to get a list of subs so i can get their T/S specs and do some enclosure sims. so far i have the obvious, JL 8W7, DD 1508, SA-8, TC epic 8. any other good 8 inchers out there worth looking at? and please dont trash the JL. i have heard the 8W7 in both a car and a HT settup and i was quite impressed in both cases. for the home theater i can run up to 1400w depending on the ohm load. and for the car i will be looking at a more sane 600W at any load. im not looking for anything mind blowing in either case. i dont even have to use all of the available power. sold all my car audio stuff a few months ago and an starting to put something back together for the new car.

the only thing i REALLY need is for the home theater sub to be able to play the lows with some authority. my current 6.5 inch sub does a decent job playing at 20hz due to the shape and size of the livingroom. im just looking for a step up in output.

Matt

ouch, that vid was a bit harsh. i have to slightly agree with some of it tho. and as i said, i have the SA-8 on my list. anyone know of any other 8 inchers out there that are within the 300-500W power range?

Matt

edit: just noticed that the creator of that video is "sundown only" kinda makes me wonder.

edit: just noticed that the creator of that video is "sundown only" kinda makes me wonder.
Yeah, I noticed that too, but a lot of the points he makes about the driver can't really be contested with. Also, he goes on to say that the DD 1508 is the better sub to get if you're looking at DD, and it would be great on your power. All in all, it is an interesting video and I guess you can take from it what you want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

yea, most of it is true. but idk, reading a review from a competitor is like watching all of the election adds on TV. they will say almost anything to win. im going to make a thread here soon with JUST T/S specs and winisd sheets to get opinions on what sub would be best for my applications. that way i can avoid all of the nuthuggers.

guess i have all the viable 8 inch chodes out there? i remember reading something about a "rainbow" sub or something. i cant seem to find anything about it.

Matt

i just found anoyher 8 inch that i had no idea existed. anyone know anything on the Incriminator I series 8 inch? it looks pretty nice. im going to do some google research and see what i can dig up on it.

Matt

Edit: also round a B2 Audio ES 8 and a Skar Audio VVX-8. havent heard anything about B2 audio but from what i can remember, skar was not getting nice reviews on here.

i just found anoyher 8 inch that i had no idea existed. anyone know anything on the Incriminator I series 8 inch? it looks pretty nice. im going to do some google research and see what i can dig up on it.
Matt

Edit: also round a B2 Audio ES 8 and a Skar Audio VVX-8. havent heard anything about B2 audio but from what i can remember, skar was not getting nice reviews on here.
From my experience the Skar 8 is a nice choice for lows from an 8" woofer. Granted I have 4 of them, but they do pretty good down low. Get decently loud too. The SA8v2 is supposed to be geared toward better low end extension over the v1 model. Either would probably do nicely in a HT set up.

looking at the DC website and there is no 8 inch lvl 2 listed. and those american bass woofers look promising. im still looking for the Skar subs review. hopefully i can dig up some T/S parameters for the Skar and the american Bass.

Matt

DC Level 2 M2 8" subs are discontinued, but you can find them on the forums alot.

Image Dynamics ID8's, Dayton HF 8", Dayton HO 8", Tang Band 8", etc.

DD 8's are useless to even consider. Over priced and you can get a much better 8" for a fraction of the cost. ie: Cadence 8" subs are very similar, but use better softparts when Jacob from Sundown ripped them down and did a comparison.

ok, i think i have all the woofers i need to do some Winisd work. so far i have the following:

8W7

SA-8

DD 1508

TC Epic-8

Skar 8

and the american bass 8

im about to start the box modeling process but i cant find an Xmax figure or a sensitivity firugre for the DD 1508. can anyone help me with that?

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.