Looking for components, ID or IA?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Moofs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Im looking for a set of components for my Nissan maxima. I have an alpine two channel that does 100rms at 4 ohms. Budget is 120.

I'm looking for more SQ/SQL. Something with decent midbass and not harsh tweeters.

These will be paired with a Dcon 12 sub. I listen to mostly rock and indie but some rap also.

Right now I'm tied between image dynamics CTX or the Incriminator audio I series.

If you have heard either please post.

Which would you choose. Can you think of other options as well?

There is very little info on both and from the little info there is it was all good. I can't decide.

The ID comps are great for the price. I'm pretty sure I'd take them over the IA's any day. I think they are more SQ oriented with the ability to get loud, while the IA's are more geared towards loudness while not sounding like total crap....but I could be wrong on that.

Here's a vid I did of mine on about 200wrms in my room. I recently sold all of my audio equipment and kept these so that's an indicator of how much I really like them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRebmgsWo0

My budget for comps was up to $200 back when I bought these and I feel like I couldn't have gotten a better comp set for the price and I've tested and reviewed a good few comps in the price range and above and these will give a lot of them a run for their money.

thanks man! It's nice to hear from someone who used them personally.

Once installed in your car, how was the midbass and were the tweeters harsh or ear piercing at all?

thanks man! It's nice to hear from someone who used them personally. Once installed in your car, how was the midbass and were the tweeters harsh or ear piercing at all?
That's where it gets a little crazy lol. I never got them in my car as I ended up trading it before I got a chance to install any of the equipment I'd bought for the rebuild.

But, I doubt they'd disappoint in a car. When free aired in my room, they were on 200rms with no high pass and it took me really cranking them to get any kind of break up from them and they pounded out some nice midbass when I tried them in an enclosure a few days ago. On the note of the tweeters, they are smooth and only show their presence when needed. A lot of times harsh tweeters in a car are a product of a less than perfect install same with weak midbass.

Make sure the install is solid and I doubt these will disappoint.

ID's all day. My buddy has them and they're awesome.
I made note of a JBL set that the guys over at DIYMA were raving about, but I forget the model number now. Lol.
No worries about the JBL's. I'm rly kinda set on getting one of these two.

How were the tweeters and midbass on the IA's?

What makes me lean towards those is the mounting depth is only 2.1 inches compared to the CTX which is 2.7/8th I think, I can't get a straight answer as to weather they will fit my doors.

No worries about the JBL's. I'm rly kinda set on getting one of these two.How were the tweeters and midbass on the IA's?

What makes me lean towards those is the mounting depth is only 2.1 inches compared to the CTX which is 2.7/8th I think, I can't get a straight answer as to weather they will fit my doors.
Midbass was there. Nice detailed vocals. His tweets pretty "in your face" on axis so they're a little bright for me, but that's an install and EQ thing.

Considering you'll probably have to make some sort of adapter or mounting ring for them, I wouldn't think the depth would be a problem.

The ID comps are great for the price. I'm pretty sure I'd take them over the IA's any day. I think they are more SQ oriented with the ability to get loud, while the IA's are more geared towards loudness while not sounding like total crap....but I could be wrong on that.
Im not going to knock the ID's because I am sure they are a nice component set. However, your statement about the IA's is totally wrong. They actually sound very sweet and smooth, and were not designed just to be loud and sound ok. Like has been mentioned, the tweeter is relatively bright, but that is more of a statement to personal taste, as an eq can adjust it to sound how you want it. There are a few songs in my truck that have literally brought tears to my eyes because they sounded so good on my I series components (2 sets up front powered by an IA6.4)......just food for thought....carry on

Thanks for the reply^

It wouldnt happen to be you who has that video on youtube of the components playing aint no sunshine, would it?

Either way, I'm pretty set on getting the IA set, apparently they only have a 2.1 inch mounting depth so I dont need spacers, they are the least expensive, and I havent heard anyone straight up not like them. And being I've never actually heard a set of after market components in a car, I'm sure I'll be blown away.

Look into helix and arc as well as mmats..The IDs are nice but they are too dull for my taste..
Looked into arc, didnt impress me. Can't find any info on helix and mmat is out of my $ range.

Thanks though!

Thanks for the reply^It wouldnt happen to be you who has that video on youtube of the components playing aint no sunshine, would it?

Either way, I'm pretty set on getting the IA set, apparently they only have a 2.1 inch mounting depth so I dont need spacers, they are the least expensive, and I havent heard anyone straight up not like them. And being I've never actually heard a set of after market components in a car, I'm sure I'll be blown away.

No that's not me man, but I promise you will not be disappointed!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.