Is this a good ground?

Is your amp in the dash or some shit?

And oh Jesus no. That's an awful ground. I hope you like having roasted you for dinner, because it looks like you'll be getting pretty toasty in there.

If you're grounding there(from the looks of the wire, my guess is that you shouldn't be), you need to at least go under the seat and use a ring terminal.

I'm newer to electrical stuff - could somebody give a somewhat in-depth response actually explaining WHY this is a bad ground? (Aside from not using a ring terminal or sanding the paint off?)

I'm newer to electrical stuff - could somebody give a somewhat in-depth response actually explaining WHY this is a bad ground? (Aside from not using a ring terminal or sanding the paint off?)
It is not directly on the frame or chassis. Anything bolted to the car such as a seat will give you a very bad ground. If the wire was ran under the seat and was sanded it would not be that bad of a ground.

It is not directly on the frame or chassis. Anything bolted to the car such as a seat will give you a very bad ground. If the wire was ran under the seat and was sanded it would not be that bad of a ground.
What makes a difference whether it was bolted to the frame/chassis or a seat? I don't mean to counter your reply, (because I do appreciate it) but I just want to know the difference.

What makes a difference whether it was bolted to the frame/chassis or a seat? I don't mean to counter your reply, (because I do appreciate it) but I just want to know the difference.
Think of it this way there are the two structural parts of your car (internal working of it) the frame and chassis. They both are made out of solid metal and intern will create the strongest ground. Next are the sheets of metal, fiberglass and plastic attached to this frame and chassis. The metal can still give a good ground depending on location since it is still strongly connected to the frame/chassis. Next will come the bolted down accessories such as the seats which now brings you to a gray area in grounds since it is merely bolted to a panel attached to the frame or chassis.

But it's still really small wire and looks like it's probably over 9,000 feet long. Bad idea.

wow... this thread is classic....

think of it this simple way....

when you ground to the seat... you are putting all your $$$ that you spent on your equipment on a cheapazz $.32 bolt, that while metal, may not be a good conductor. your seat isnt doing crap for grounding as it is not touching the car frame because it has carpeting and pads underneath it.

when you ground to bare metal, you are using that whole piece of metal, I.E. the sheet body of your vehicle as the ground instead of a bolt. So now the whole body is the conductor, which is connected to the frame of the vehicle.. which your battery is grounded to the the frame....

makes some sense?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.