New daily box for some Boston G5's

THATpurpleKUSH
5,000+ posts

Fuckyou
I'm starting to build the new box for my G5s. It will be for a daily driver, but it will see competition time too. I got the design from a shop close to my parents house, the guy who did the design says he holds the record in meca street 5 at 160.9 and there is a special piece inside that should help with the airflow but its a secret. Here's my old box:

25270874003_medium.jpg

I have no clue how to use sketchup or any sort of cad program, so I do all my designing by hand. This is what the box will look like lol:

20120423203434.jpg

4cu/ft tuned around 31.5hz, with a 6inch pvc port that will be removeable and I will have 2 other port tunes to swap in as well.

Here is the wood laid out so far

20120423191206.jpg

Also this is my first build involving 45 pieces in the corners, wow they are a pita to cut, but not as hard as I thought.

An interesting note- according to winisd, my old box had a vent mach of .05 with 2 4inch ports (3.9@33hz) and the new box has a vent mach of .10 (4@31.5hz), the 6inch port even has slightly more surface area, whats up with that?

No $ involved. The design isnt official and is just something scribbled down on a piece of paper. I picked his brain about spl for over an hour one day and I think he was getting sick of me so he sent me off with a box design and was like "just shut up and go make this" lol. There was a guy at a comp in the fall that had some special piece in his box too and wouldnt let me inspect it or try and peer in the port. He said I had to buy the box for $100 if I wanted to find out- I think I know what he did now. It's really simple and I'm surprised none of the box designers on here utilize it.

I made a stand to meter at the headrest, it will be making a trip to my "high tech spray booth" this week. By high tech I mean my screened in patio and rattle cans. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

20120429192953.jpg

I'll be working on the box more in between finals as well, so more updates are on the way.

Well finals and graduation are over and I got my building room back after a near week long party clean up from the grad party. Beginning to make some progress. The goal is to have the box done by next weekend to make it to one of the local (2 1/2hr drive) MECA shows. I'm about to order some edead to help the trunk out a little bit.

Got this done last night

25270874064_large.jpg

I'm about to put the bottom on and glue in the 45s and cut the holes for the port mounting lips.

I sat looking at the box for a solid 5 minutes trying to figure out what that extra piece might be still have no clue. I might make it out to that meca event. Also how easy is it to swap ports out and back in?

Lol no one will ever guess it, its so simple. I just hope I did it right because I was just given a picture and no real dimensions other than exterior dimensions. I can't wait to see how it works.

Swapping ports is plug and play with 4 wing nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kushy_dreams']I'm not gonna lie, the removeable port idea was stolen from a box build @DonH did for @disturbed471985 for 3 skar 10s, only it won't have a wooden piece on the inside to act as a flare. I tried to find the build log thread to link to pictures, but I couldn't find it and I searched back to august of 2011 and I know I saw it after that, I just don't remember when.

edit: found it: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-...cks-suvs/533865-box-build-disturbed-donh.html[/QUOTE]

Best box I have ever used to date... Don IMO is one of the top builders on this site. The real rare thing is he is not all about the money like all the other builders are on this site.

P.S why u stealing my box design????????:verymad: Just BSing go with it man looks clean and who does not like being able to change tuning in a matter of mins??? GL with build man.

Also, plz for godsakes DO NOT USE EDEAD!!!!!!!! I have 50sqft cover on just my doors and its the worst crap I have ever used. The backing is like plastic it does not stick for very long the ends will curl in a matter of months. Just garbage Fattmat even being a lower quality product was actually a vastly better product... Run my friend RUN

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.