Sub dilemmas.....

king nothing
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
illinois
Alright, heres my dilemma. i have room for one of these combinations and I cant decide what would be best for me. I can squeeze a 1.5 cuft gross enclosure in where it needs to go. I have 900w on tap at 1-2 ohms. Id like to keep the cost around 300, 350 tops. i listen to mainly country and hard rock/metal although I enjoy "play time" sometimes as well. Vehicle is a LARGE truck (dodge megacab)

1. 2 lower-mid end 10s sealed (SSA dcon, sundown E10, something in the 110-125 ea price range)

2. 1 middle of the road 10 ported (Fi Q, SSA Icon or equivalent)

3. 1 middle of the road 12 sealed (Fi Q, SSA Icon, Arc flatline IDMAX, something like that)

4. 4 8s that i already have sealed or ported (JBL GTX8s)

5. Boston SPG555 racetrack sub with the matching passive radiator. (this is my favorite option, but im afraid the supply will be dried up by the time I get enough money for one)

6. Some other combination I havent thought of yet???

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience 2 of anything sealed ain't gonna cut it for getting loud in a truck. 1 12/15 ported or multiple 12s ported/sealed are what you need.

Are u squeezing these under rear seat? If so idmax/flatline as well as spg are out of the question u less you do a rear seat lift.

For 300 I would offload one of my spg and the radiator to a fellow metal head. Again I want to stress that it won't fit under a rear seat though (I don't think at least) without some sort of modification.

Just FYI setups I've ran in previous trucks are 2 l7 10, 2 l7 12, 4 l7 12 (all sealed, 4 was only one loud enough for my taste in sealed application other than the Ti which is my all time fave) 2 idmax 12s ported (second favorite), 2 arc flatline 12 ported, 1 15 eclipse ti sealed, 2 diamond tdx 12 sealed. Other setups were in a car but included idmax and Orion h2(?)

Kinda feel I'm forgetting one but point I'm making is I've had a few setups in trucks. I've been there and done that. You need multiple subs or major cone area via bigger subs. Music for me is 90% metal (as I lay dying, job for a cowboy etc) and 10% Texas country, rap, random crap

Oh yeah other setups were 2 re se 15 sealed and 2 eclipse aluminum 12s sealed

In my experience 2 of anything sealed ain't gonna cut it for getting loud in a truck. 1 12/15 ported or multiple 12s ported/sealed are what you need. Are u squeezing these under rear seat? If so idmax/flatline as well as spg are out of the question u less you do a rear seat lift.

For 300 I would offload one of my spg and the radiator to a fellow metal head. Again I want to stress that it won't fit under a rear seat though (I don't think at least) without some sort of modification.
they will be going into a center console. I have a HUGE truck but i need to keep as much room as possible and be able to haul my kids/dogs/etc. I would LOVE to have your SPG555 but im unemployed at the moment and cant seem to sell the 8s I have. trust me. Im lusting after an SPG and passive combo LOL

Oh ok I gotcha with the console. Always wanted to try that setup. Was figuring a guy with a truck that size probably wasn't getting rid of the back seat.

Good luck with the job hunt. Been there and know its rough these days

they will be going into a center console. I have a HUGE truck but i need to keep as much room as possible and be able to haul my kids/dogs/etc. I would LOVE to have your SPG555 but im unemployed at the moment and cant seem to sell the 8s I have. trust me. Im lusting after an SPG and passive combo LOL
I really wanted one of the SPG's too. They are really expensive though. I have an enclosure used to seperate my front seats in my truck and it sounds amazing and loud! I have built 2 boxes designed like this so far, and a 10 or 12 ported is definitely possible. I have a 12 in their now, but the 10's box was a very special box. Here are some links to the builds. Oh, the boxes were all built solid and fit together perfectly, but I am the worst upholsterer ever! Even though I am bad at it, I keep trying in the hopes one day I will get better.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/523685-dodge-ram-sub-enclosure-ssa-icon.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/541605-josephs-sq-build-log.html

I hope this might give you some ideas, and help you decide on things. If you have any particular questions, don't hesitate to ask or PM me. I will be glad to help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.