How to better handle your stereo's weight

REAudio2001
10+ year member

Michigan
Hey,

Just wondering how all you guys with trunk systems support the weight. I dont know the weight I have, but I have 2 heavy a** subs (re audio xxx), a very very heavy box, 2 heavy amps, and a total of 3 C & D technologies batteries (heavy as sh*t). Anyways my back sturts are shot and need replaced, but I cant find any parts stores that sell heavy duty struts because " my grand prix is a family sedan" So how do you guys deal with the weight. Maybe just a new set of quick struts would do, but the as* end sags a lot then. BTW I have a 2005 Grand Prix, and thanks for any advice/ideas!

Birch box, larger alt and ditch a batt or two, replace front batt to distribute weight better. And this problem seems to be solved.

There are a couple companies out there that make custom shocks and struts. I had them priced a few years ago and they weren't too expensive (can't remeber the name of the company now).

just tear it all out and send it to me,problem solved
I do have to tear it out to get to strut towers, but ill probably keep it lol

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

There are a couple companies out there that make custom shocks and struts. I had them priced a few years ago and they weren't too expensive (can't remeber the name of the company now).
I was thinking of looking for a place that did this.

Go to a Prix forum and ask them.

When I had planned to do my old 18w6 setup i bought new prothane irs isolators. It gave me a solid 3/4" in back which was all i needed to level her out. I was already lowered though. They gotta make something similiar for yours.

Just go to a forum, they'll know best.

P.s. For god sakes DO NOT buy those metal clamp doohickies that say they can raise and lower coil springs.

I knew a guy that auto crossed his 98 GTP grand prix. He had Koni struts and lowered. You can get custom strings made to handle your car's weight. If you can get it on some scales so you can get the individual corner weights it helps alot. eibach might can help with the springs. they have calculators to figure the proper spring rate to support the weight. You may have to upgrade your struts to handle the extra strength of the springs.

I will need to do this on my civic i think sadly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Air struts is about the only way to help the ride without having to weld stuff on. You'll need the struts, a 5 gallon air tank, varible pressure transducer, 40 amp relay, two SMC 3/8 valves, 40 feet of 3/8 air hose, and some misc air fittings.

This is how my Jeep is setup.

backofjeep2.jpg

backofjeep1.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.