Suggestions on System Upgrade

Participant count
  • Participants list

qwiktune
10+ year member

Ninja Samurai
So i come to you in search of advice on upgrading my system. Right now i got a pair of 1200 watt (350 RMS) Sony Xplod 12s (SVC 4 Ohm) run @2 ohm with a 375 RMS (@2 ohm) Mono Apline Amp. I was wondering if going to a pair of 12in JL Audio W0s (not sure if its v2 or v3 but i think they are rated the same at 300 RMS). Now the RMS wattage of the JL Audios is lower, but I assume the quality is better than the Sony's so thats why I was looking for some advice. I was just going to use the same Amp (since the guy only had the JL Audio 200/1 amp which I believe is only 200 RMS wattage, so i think the Apline would be better to use). Both in sealed box (though i'm looking to try and find a ported)......oh and he's asking $125 for the pair of JL Audios. Let me know what you think, would be it worth the upgrade or wouldn't I tell much of a difference?

he's asking 125 for the woofers because they are the lowest line of jl woofers .prolly will sound better than the sony subs ,since they haven't made any good car audio stuff in over 10 years ,but still the lowest line.i would save your cash and get some better woofers ,you can find many great deals on used items on the forum here ,just have to be patient sometimes.

Good note, I guess i'll just stay with my old Xplods for now (i know they might not be great, but they do slam and i've had them for at least 8 years so if I make a move to a new pair, I want it to be well worth it), thanks. I was also thinking about maybe a set of Kenwood KFC-W3012s with a Kenwood KAC-9105D amp to push them. I found that amp used for $45.....

OR

I found someone selling (for $400) a Hifonics Brutus 1500D amp with a pair of Rockford Punch HX2 subs.....i have no experience with Hifonics and had a rockford amp that I loved.......looking at the prices of the 2 products it seems like a good deal, but i dont want to make a decision based on that lol

You should browse all of our discussion forums for a while before you spend money again.
I'm trying to read as much as possible, only problem is these deals wont last long. I've decided against the JL Audios cause i'd like to go with something I wouldn't feel like I'd need to upgrade from. I was just curious about what people thought of those Kenwood Speakers (cause from I research people seemed to like that Mono amp) but I just came across that rockford/hifonics setup and so far its looks to be a pretty **** good setup, im just not personally familiar with Hifonics

Personally I would rock a pair of the Sundown 8's that are in the for sale section. They will do way more than your xplod's.
I think just about anything will do more than those Xplod's lol, but @$185 a speaker I've never had the chance to hear before hand, i dunno if I can get myself to do that lol. Plus, and I have really no reasoning, but i've always been a "pair of 12s" guy...

Basically if you read the forums here for a while you will notice a trend. Stay away from JL and Kicker is a pretty good theme. You are just paying for the name for those. JL makes quality equipment, but you can get just as good for a lot less. RF is ok if you can get them for good prices, but again you are paying some for the name. Be on the lookout in here for brands that you probably havent heard of yet. They tend to be small, American businesses that build **** right the first time with above average customer satisfaction and service. Browse the classifieds on here for a while. If you have had your Sony's for 8 years then you don't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade. Browsing the classifieds on here is what I did and you get to see everyone's price points for equipment and also what equipment is good or bad through the reviews and recommendations that people post. A thread that came out not to long ago talked about "system planning". It is a simple idea but a good one. Be patient and do your research on here. Don't buy impulsively, good deals WILL show up on here very often. Lots of good guys on here offering good help and good equipment

Good note, I guess i'll just stay with my old Xplods for now (i know they might not be great, but they do slam and i've had them for at least 8 years so if I make a move to a new pair, I want it to be well worth it), thanks. I was also thinking about maybe a set of Kenwood KFC-W3012s with a Kenwood KAC-9105D amp to push them. I found that amp used for $45.....
OR

I found someone selling (for $400) a Hifonics Brutus 1500D amp with a pair of Rockford Punch HX2 subs.....i have no experience with Hifonics and had a rockford amp that I loved.......looking at the prices of the 2 products it seems like a good deal, but i dont want to make a decision based on that lol
If the Kenwood's not blown, $45 is a good deal.

$400 is too much for that amp and those subs.

RF is ok if you can get them for good prices, but again you are paying some for the name. Don't buy impulsively, good deals WILL show up on here very often.
Thanks for the advice, yeah I have been doing some research the last few weeks, but the reason I was interested in this RF setup is that the guy has someone interested in it but can't meet him this weekend, told me he'd give me the setup up for $400 (both 12s/amp/box) and i understand the things that are over priced cause your paying for the brand, however my experience with RF has been great and even with the "inflation" on the price of the brand name, i think at this price i'm still getting a hell of a deal (from the reviews of the equipment as well) and figured i'd ask on here to get responses directed toward my exact setup in question to see if anyone was in agreement lol....

If the Kenwood's not blown, $45 is a good deal.$400 is too much for that amp and those subs.
Yeah I was originally thinking about getting that Kenwood amp since the price was right to push my Xplods (since I could get more wattage RMS from that then my current amp) but now i'm thinking I might just go to bigger subs since i'll have the power and those RF fit the bill. I'm just looking for a nice tight speakers with good SQ (opposed to SPL if I have to pick) that run around 400 watts RMS, SVC or DVC (doesn't really matter cause I dont plan on trying to run anything but 2 Ohm) and either 4 or 2 Ohm though if its 4 I plan on running it them in parallel to get 2 Ohm and a nice Mono amp to match the RMS and push both (so around 800 RMS) at 2 Ohms. My thought process told me, its a good deal on that Kenwood since its rated 900w @ 2 ohm load and those RF i believe for DVC and run 400 or 500 RMS (i forget). Figured i'd check out the HiFonics amp since it has a little more power and see if I like it, but if not I could always just sell it and make some of the money back as well as selling my Xplods. Then I only end up spending around $200 for the upgrade.....(its that a logical thought lol, cause its almost exactly how I see it played out in my head). The only thing left is finding a ported box instead of the sealed one i'm using so I can get lower frequency

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.