external bracing

LuvnThatBass
10+ year member

I like speakers
Phoenix
Hello all!

I have a 12" hdc3 sub and the box I have does not have any internal bracing. it was constructed by Fischer Customs (bj) using 5/8" Trupan wood (i think its the ultalite, not too sure though), and I was wondering about external bracing? I know it is not as effecting as internal bracing, but I would like to improve the strength. I do not see any issues or anything right now, but I would image the flex of the box is decent considering the subwoofer and the wood (strong yes, but not too thick...) I have a 2' x 4' slab of 1/2" MDF, can I just add this strategically to the sides to help with thickness and reduce flex? I was also thinking about fiber-glassing all the interior corners and joints, any thoughts on this either?

just do strap bracing inside for the long panels. Won't take up enough volume to make a diff and will make the box stronger. 1 1/2 -2" wide strips of 3/4" mdf glued to the panels.

You can roundover the edges of the braces if you have a router.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.