wtb/wttf amp that goes low ohms

It happens
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MN
Ok I think this is a silly thread but I'm posting it anyway lol... here it goes I have a sub that's dual .5 I had the impresion that it was dual 1 so I'm looking for a amp that can do .25ohm . I know there is very few out there but I don't even know were to begain looking lol. I also know I can wire the sub to 1 ohm but when I want a little more boom I want to know I can drop the ohms and make my ears bleed if ya know what I mean haha looking some were in the range of 1500 -and up maybe as low as 1200watts thanks for the help guys

The items I have to trade are a blown ia 20.1, ppi 2025am white art ,soundstream d100, soundstream ref. 200, us amps b 52, pyrimid eq, pioneer 6x9s, orion hcca 250 ...something isn't right with it turns on sound comes out till it gets warm n then it cuts out, some 1/0 car audio wire silver in color, everready maxx battery 1000 cca, everready marine battery don't know the specs on that one, and possibly for the right deal a optima yellow top d31a

it would be better to just wire the coils in series to 1 ohm, and just get an amp that outputs lots of power at 1 ohm. this will give you the boom you're looking for. there are tons of amps out there that put out what you are looking for and more at 1ohm. there is no benefit to loading any amp down to a quarter ohm, even if they are designed to. at that kind of load, efficiency is bound to suffer drastically.

it would be better to just wire the coils in series to 1 ohm, and just get an amp that outputs lots of power at 1 ohm. this will give you the boom you're looking for. there are tons of amps out there that put out what you are looking for and more at 1ohm. there is no benefit to loading any amp down to a quarter ohm, even if they are designed to. at that kind of load, efficiency is bound to suffer drastically.
ORLY? I usually get in the neighborhood of +3db going from 1 to .25.

I'd say that's beneficial.

if you already have an amp designed for max power at 0.25 ohm, great, but if not, don't go looking for one that does. look at it this way. if you could make the same amount of power at 1 ohm vs. 0.25 ohm, it is always better to get that same power at higher impedances. there are reasons they don't really make many amps these days that go down to a quarter ohm. for one, lower impedances equals lower efficiency, as previously mentioned. damping factor also suffers, though whether its audible or not may be debatable. lower efficiency means higher stress and heat on the components. back in the days when 0.25 ohm stable amps were more prevalent, they were designed as 'cheater' amps. tight power classes in competitions meant competitors could use amps rated at 50watts at 4 ohm and actually have 800 watts at super low impedances. sound off competition classes have changed because of this very reason. today, there is really no good reason to make amps that go down to 0.25 ohm.

if you already have an amp designed for max power at 0.25 ohm, great, but if not, don't go looking for one that does. look at it this way. if you could make the same amount of power at 1 ohm vs. 0.25 ohm, it is always better to get that same power at higher impedances. there are reasons they don't really make many amps these days that go down to a quarter ohm. for one, lower impedances equals lower efficiency, as previously mentioned. damping factor also suffers, though whether its audible or not may be debatable. lower efficiency means higher stress and heat on the components. back in the days when 0.25 ohm stable amps were more prevalent, they were designed as 'cheater' amps. tight power classes in competitions meant competitors could use amps rated at 50watts at 4 ohm and actually have 800 watts at super low impedances. sound off competition classes have changed because of this very reason. today, there is really no good reason to make amps that go down to 0.25 ohm.
You obviously don't know USACi very well. Lol.

This guy is talking about running it there daily. I'm talking burps. There is plenty of power to had by dropping the load on 99.9% of amps "these days." I obviously don't recommend it for daily, even though my buddy runs his D9's strapped @ .33 daily. It can be done. And it can be beneficial.

Anybody wanting to run .25 is not worried about the decrease in efficiency or damping. Lol.

IMO you should never run an amp at .25 ohm nominal unles you're burping and know precisely what your impedence is at the frequency you intend to play.

*edit* anybody who has to ask has no business running anything at .25

Ok I guess I worded it differntly but that's what I'm asking for is .25 for burps I guess I'm sorry for the missunderstanding

actually, i re-read my post you quoted, sorry, you are right. i meant to say no good reason to get an amp to load down to 0.25 ohm, even if it was designed to run at that load. better to get a different amp.

I do agree with you but to have the option is nice just cause I'm happy with my sub so I have to work around that

Its funny I just was thinking about the us amps vlx-25 lol pics of it and pm a price

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.