is my fender in the way of my port?

Participant count
  • Participant list

plugger
10+ year member

is this affecting my output?

port1.jpg

port4.jpg

i dont wanna slide the box back any if i can help it because the sub sits nicely right under my rear deck now and also saves space where it is now. sub is hdc315. power is 1200 watts rms but i want to upgrade later to around 2000 box is 4.3 @ 36

It ain't killing you, but it's almost certainly hurting. I had a similar orientation in my trunk and the further I could get the port away from the wall, the more I gained. I'm only talking like 5 tenths of a DB from one side to the other though.

sub up port side(edit) yeah. the box is the width of the trunk so the only thing i could do is slide it back 6" or so so the port is free and clear but that would move the sub out from under the rear deck so thats my quiestion should i do that or leave it?

Last edited by a moderator:
so i can get the most sound from the sub into the car through the vent in the rear deck. and if i slide it back it will be under the trunk lid so i just figure its best where its at now. but port is to the side sorry. how much sound comes from the port vs the sub cone itself?

sub up port side(edit) yeah. the box is the width of the trunk so the only thing i could do is slide it back 6" or so so the port is free and clear but that would move the sub out from under the rear deck so thats my quiestion should i do that or leave it?
You can always try it and see if it sounds any better. Why not experiment and see what sounds best. A differently designed box would probably be best though, but work with what you got.

so i can get the most sound from the sub into the car through the vent in the rear deck. and if i slide it back it will be under the trunk lid so i just figure its best where its at now. but port is to the side sorry. how much sound comes from the port vs the sub cone itself?
Honestly, if anything, firing it through the rear deck is probably hurting more than helping. Unless the sub is so close to the roof of the trunk that it's getting choked. But even then. You'd rather have the sub AND port pressure getting through there together. Having them seperated can cause cancellation.

And at or near tuning, the sub is doing very little. It's all about the port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.