Dual battery setup help

Participant count
  • Participant list

zbone1
10+ year member

Missouri
hello, I've had some systems in the past, but I've never really actually done a complete system by myself... I've replaced speakers and changed amps, but running two batteries is different for me. I'll tell you guys what I currently have and maybe I can have some advice on what to do.

2002 Dodge Intrepid SE 2.7L

130 Amp factory alternator

Some factory/walmart battery under the hood

What I have:

(1) Alpine CDE-136BT Head Unit

(1) Jbl 1201.1 1114 watts rms @ 2 ohms

(1) Rockford Fosgate P400 50 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms

(2) kicker 6x9's up to 90 watts rms each @ 4 ohms

(2) kicker 6 1/2's up to 65 watts rms each @ 4 ohms

(2) kicker l7 12 inch 750 watts rms each @ 2 ohms

(1) Stinger SGP32 Isolator

(1) Optima Yellowtop d34/78

(1) Massive 2 farad cap

I am wanting to know if I have my factory battery go to an isolator then to the yellow top (of course fuses in between everything) will there be any problems?

I have had a few car stereo shops tell me that the batteries MUST be identical for a setup like this to work correctly. I thought the isolator prevents the second battery from affecting the first battery.

The reason I bought the second battery is because the space I have under the hood. I don't believe any good yellowtops/kinectic/stinger will fit according to my dimensions.

What I currently plan to buy is a new sub box for the l7's and 0 gauge wire. I've been recommended 0 gauge a few times and going from battery to battery I think it's recommended. I know I will fuse after the first battery, after the isolator, and after the second battery.

Would you guys recommend keeping the cap to be used as a distribution block / helping out as well?

I know most people I talk to they say caps are a joke, but instead of selling it for 30 bucks on craigslist could it still be useful?

How do I install this isolator? I see 2 large terminals and 2 small terminals.

Battery positive --- isolator ---- second battery (including fuses)

Battery negative -- isolator ---- second battery ( include fuses?)

Are the ignition switch and accessory cables a must when dealing with an isolator?

I plan on doing the "big 3" as well

This isn't the best system out there, but it's enough to get my by. I'm just wanting to do it correctly or have I already fucked it up.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I know somebody knows exactly what to do... Thanks for reading and all the help in the past.

the small terminals on the isolator are for controlling it. refer to the installation diagram/manual for the isolator, but you don't run ground through the isolator. you do ground on smaller terminal, and give 12V to the other small terminal when you want the batteries to parallel (i.e. when ignition is on).

the isolator does not prevent the batteries from draining each other while the car is on. it only disconnects them when the car is off. with your planned system, you do not need two batteries. you do need one good starting battery. if you want to play with the car turned off for long periods, then the second battery will certainly help.

a cap is a bulky terminal block and one that can give you issues down the road. best to just sell it (or connect it to 120V and let the magic smoke out). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.