Is this box good for a Type R?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MellowHype
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi, I need to build a box for an alpine 12" type R, as i got quoted £150-170 for one (like $250), and im not paying that lol. Ive never done this but im not too bad with wood and i have a carpenter mate who's willing to help.

I got the two plans off of here on the 'free box plans' thread, and was wondering if they look any good for the Type R(4ohm).

both 2 cu ft at 32 Hz, but one has a slightly wider port.

This wont let me put links in the post, but they are on the 'Free box plans' 2nd page and its the 1st two.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hi, I need to build a box for an alpine 12" type R, as i got quoted £150-170 for one (like $250), and im not paying that lol. Ive never done this but im not too bad with wood and i have a carpenter mate who's willing to help.
I got the two plans off of here on the 'free box plans' thread, and was wondering if they look any good for the Type R(4ohm).

both 2 cu ft at 32 Hz, but one has a slightly wider port.

This wont let me put links in the post, but they are on the 'Free box plans' 2nd page and its the 1st two.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
I don't know where that thread is, but 2 cubes after all displacement is good for that sub. 32hz is what most people recommend here. I personally go with 35hz and just a little bit larger port. The larger the port, the more output you will get at the box's peak freq. Unless you get crazy with it, there isn't much downside to doing this. If you want to build that exact box though, I'd be willing to guess you'll be happy with it.

I don't know where that thread is, but 2 cubes after all displacement is good for that sub. 32hz is what most people recommend here. I personally go with 35hz and just a little bit larger port. The larger the port, the more output you will get at the box's peak freq. Unless you get crazy with it, there isn't much downside to doing this. If you want to build that exact box though, I'd be willing to guess you'll be happy with it.

Ok thanks for your help. The box design I think im gonna go with, has a 3" wide port at the front, does that sound too big/small/about right? My knowledge on all this stuff is limited however im trying to learn.

Also, i was told by a man in a car audio shop, if i was to get the Type R, and put it in a ported box, id need to be carefull how much power i give it, other wise id 'blow its brains out'. They take 600 RMS by the specs but alot of people give it quite abit more. Would I be ok giving it the 600 RMS do you think

Thanks again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.