What makes a big motor subwoofer better?

Paulspikey
10+ year member

Ghetto Genius
For example, why is a 10" ssa xcon better than a 10" alpine type r? I know it handles more power, but does it make it louder? Im not trolling, just wanting to know the science. I have 2 type r's sealed now, I want to keep for daily listening. But I am thinking of getting a single 10" xcon in my ported box for showing off. Ive also been looking at sundown, dc and skar as options. Im just wondering what the triple stacked magnet subwoofers are really capable of.

Ok, Im looking for more exact answers as to WHY they actually work/sound better.
They don't, necessarily. A few years ago, Xmax used to be the spec that everyone knew made a sub "good" or not. I guess we're on to motor force now.

There is no single spec that can tell about a particular woofer. It's like saying that a vehicle with 500 horsepower will be fast. What if it weighs a ton and is geared low?

but come on now comparing those two in their own optimal enclosure which will last, sound, and be better over all? dont tell me there's not a difference there

You can PM Corey (SPLaudio) and ask him about a price of a newly built sub. It will probably rival or beat the price of the newer type Rs and sound WAAAAYYYY better. I have 2 of his customs.

Bigger motor is more EXPENSIVE because it uses more materials. Generally better quality materials (though not always), and costs a lot more to ship.

eCrack said it all, all things equal a big motor is exactly like having more horsepower in an engine. The actual design (technology, pole, top and bottom plate, shorting rings, gap width, etc) and softparts will tell the rest of the story of how it will perform. Personally I'm all about motor force, but I'm aware it isn't necessary or even beneficial in all applications.

That all being said you'll be hard pressed to find a 50 pound + motor that is built into a sub that won't get loud.

Bunch of nonsense in here, especially coming from someone who drives his parents old flower delivery cargo van and claims to "know" sq. At any rate, nothing makes a larger motor better.. It will all depend on soft parts used, quality of ferrite/neo and steel, and most importantly, application

Bunch of nonsense in here, especially coming from someone who drives his parents old flower delivery cargo van and claims to "know" sq. At any rate, nothing makes a larger motor better.. It will all depend on soft parts used, quality of ferrite/neo and steel, and most importantly, application
Name 2 motors that use 10" slugs that are junk.

Ironically, for someone overly dependent on the search feature for trivia, you come up with the same thing I said...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.