doubling or tripling amp power?

was thinking of getting a more powerful amp. What would change being im leaving the sub and enclosure the same? would it be louder? would the bass shake the vehicle more?
Lulz would be louder. Assuming the amp actually did make double the power it could in theory give you a +3db gain. In actuality, that almost never happens. You will gain less than that. Tripling your power could be about 4.5 db or less.

You must keep the voltage up when you step up amp power. This means big 3, big wire, and nice agm batteries and a bigger alternator depending on how far you go. Since you gave no specifics it's impossible to tell which, if any of these you may need.

If your sub is already receiving it's RMS or even more, you either need to work on the box/install or consider a different sub. Adding more power doesn't usually do much (because sound is logarithmic, the increase in output plateaus very quickly)

Technically it doesn't but the gain from power after a while is very minimal...it gets to a point where your sub is just heating up more thermally without any additional output
That would be true about clipping. When talking about clean power it is not really true.

Doesn't have to be clipping, could just be the sub's thermal handling
To avoid going back and forth... if time is an issue what you're saying could happen at some point. If we were talking about a burp you would be wrong entirely. For music, it depends on the duty cycle and the scenario you're describing probably wouldn't happen. I don't want to argue but the RMS value is a recommended value. It's not some brick wall or "plateau". For the most part you are incorrect, but this doesn't need to be a lengthy argument so I'll just leave it at that.

To avoid going back and forth... if time is an issue what you're saying could happen at some point. If we were talking about a burp you would be wrong entirely. For music, it depends on the duty cycle and the scenario you're describing probably wouldn't happen. I don't want to argue but the RMS value is a recommended value. It's not some brick wall or "plateau". For the most part you are incorrect, but this doesn't need to be a lengthy argument so I'll just leave it at that.
You are misunderstanding me, I didn't mean the RMS is like a plateau, I meant after a while adding more power will simply yield less and less of a benefit...but we can put this to rest

That would be true about clipping. When talking about clean power it is not really true.
A voice coil will experience power compression with absolutely no distortion in the source signal. Just physics...

Not even taking power compression into account, the fact that our ears work in a logarithmic fashion means that you'll get to a point where reaching that next 3dB threshold will require more money and time than it's worth - which is a pretty good example of a plateau unless you're willing to convert your vehicle into an Extreme-class dB Drag entry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Increasing power from 1kW to 2kW is the same ratio as 5kW to 10kW, although the cost to get there certainly isn't the same.

ok, yes, the amp is rated at 70 watts and the sub is rated at 150 watts rms, even though im only putting 70 watts to it, it does pound quite nicely in my trunk. But now i want a little more, i cant buy a new amp and subs, but maybe either or, so, to get a little more 'feel' and sound, should i go from my 10 to a 12" sub and keep same amp, or, keep the 10" and go bigger amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.