Skar IVX 15 or Sundown E-15?

ThirtyHz
10+ year member

Alright, both the Skar IVX 15 and Sundown E-15 pretty much just came out.... I dont care about the $20 price difference, although i'm extremely torn between the two.... Anyone have opinions? I was set on the E-15, and even made a box design for it, but now I just heard about the IVX 15.... and I kind want that one more, just based on looks. Either would be getting a clean 500 watts...

I'd go with the Skar. Only because they just came out and they intrigue me... Can't go wrong with Sundown though. Tough choice. I wasn't a big help was I? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If you prefer lows I would go with the skar, though I will put down money to say that the sundown will take more abuse
I love lows... and I really want the rubber surround by the skar, because i would like to be able to pound while its really cold out... (chicago area). im just gunna wait for some reviews...

I love lows... and I really want the rubber surround by the skar, because i would like to be able to pound while its really cold out... (chicago area). im just gunna wait for some reviews...
I use a foam surround on my 18 and I can use it up here in cold ol' Maine...just give the car a couple minutes to heat up and you are solid. Play the sub at half volume or so to give everything a chance to loosen up.

Rubber surrounds have a tendency to solidify some in sever cold. Just a property of the material. Northern Alberta and Chicago aren't quite the same though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Foam is susceptible to extreme cold weather tears when a user attempts to get moderate excursion before the surround has a chance to "loosen" a bit. In either case, damage to the surround would be considered user error and not a subwoofer malfunction.

Warming the vehicle's cabin and not going from OFF to BLAST will help keep your drivers safe. Best wishes.

A quick read on surround material:

Subwoofer Surrounds - Knowledge Base

Yeah, the rubber surrounds definitely get very hard in the cold. I have a Skar VVX 12 and live in South Dakota, it was 15 degrees today and they were rock hard. Overall, this winter hasn't been too bad, though. As long as it's above 35 degrees or so, I don't have to warm my car up that much to play them.

My primary concerns in winter are internal capacitors (amplifiers/source) etc. due to extreme cold and condensation. Every summer when I head south it's like waking up to a new vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.