Possible blown 13W7 ?

asr10 user
10+ year member

Basically I bought a 13w7 5-6 years ago. I used it in my car, sold the car, then let it sit for about 3 years in my garage. Now im building a home theater system and wanted to use the W7 for the sub.

I removed the w7 from the box today to see how it was wired and connected it to my Onkyo AVR to to hear it. The sub sounds blown.

I hear all types of movement and only when I hold the cone down does it sound clean.

How the hell is this possible! I bought it maybe 5-6 years ago, used it in my car for about 2-3 years, never played it super loud, used a JL Audio 1000/1 amp, and when I put it away the last time it was still working fine. It has been doing nothing but sitting in my garage for about 3 years.

Is it possible weather got to it? I saw some mold on the box itself, but did that get to the sub? Could a drop of the box caused the voice coil damage?

Those are the only two bad things I can think of that might have affected it. Its just been sitting there. I dont remember if the box was actually dropped, but it is a 150lb box and maybe someone dropped it, but I dont think so. Physically the sub looks fine, no signs of weather.

Could the Onkyo just be giving it crappy signal? Any definitive way to find out of its ok? SHOOT!

its possible, did the sub sit on the bottom of the box, like the water got to it? and try it with a different amp, see if your idea of a ****** signal is correct. my 2 cents.

how did you wire it? If you wired it to low, With a d 1.5 ohm sub your pretty much screwed ht, it will sound like ****. That wouldn't explain the you holding the cone improving it though. Can you take pictures?

Its wired in series, so it should be giving out a 3ohm signal which is what I wanted for my home theater build. The sub was in the middle, no water could have gotten to the bottom of it, but maybe from the top it somehow seeped through. I can take pics, what should I take pics of though? From what I can tell, physically it looks fine.

And it ***** I got out of the car audio game, or else I would just be able to test this thing properly. I might just try to bring it to a shop.

Ok, I measured the w7 with a dmm and I am getting 3ohm. But when I press up and down on the cone, I hear a faint scratchy noise. The cone should be completely silent when going up and down correct?

Ok, I measured the w7 with a dmm and I am getting 3ohm. But when I press up and down on the cone, I hear a faint scratchy noise. The cone should be completely silent when going up and down correct?
coil rub need a recone for that

if you dont push even it will rub. run the sub at 6ohms with a crossover freeair see if same prob...
the 13's have d 1.5 coils, only the 8-12 have 3 ohm coils. I don't know of any receivers that will enjoy a 3ohm load which may be part of his problem. The noise when pushing may be from shoving the former into the pole piece when pushing. Which is what I think you were getting at by saying run it free air.

My guess is there probably is a buildup of mildew and such internally and that could be the sound you hear. Give the sub a good cleaning and spray some compressed air in there.

My guess is there probably is a buildup of mildew and such internally and that could be the sound you hear. Give the sub a good cleaning and spray some compressed air in there.
I hope thats it. Im going to do the compressed air thing now. Really the only two types of trauma the sub could have experienced is the weather (I do live in Los Angeles so weather is perfect, but the box might have got some water on it over the years) and a dropping of the entire enclosure.

Could dropping the box have caused the VC or something to move and get unaligned?

I hope thats it. Im going to do the compressed air thing now. Really the only two types of trauma the sub could have experienced is the weather (I do live in Los Angeles so weather is perfect, but the box might have got some water on it over the years) and a dropping of the entire enclosure.
Could dropping the box have caused the VC or something to move and get unaligned?
depends on how high and the angle it hit. A mildly used subwoofer getting a hard push randomly on the cone could potential damage it if not there could have been some sort of shift.

Ok an update. I brought the sub in to the shop where I bought it and hoped to test it. I took the W7 bare with no box and the guy said he didnt have time today to put it in a box real quick to test properly, he said it will probably sound funny with no box. I tested it that way with no box. I also didnt have the O-Ring that goes around the top of the cone installed. He said he doubts the o-ring has anything to do with it, but it would be better to test that way.

He also pushed the sub in and out and put something like a dmm onto each VC that made the woofer jump to what seemed like full excursion. He said it seems fine and the voice coils are ok. I asked him about the weather and dropping it and he says physically it looked fine so he doubts weather is an issue. And if it was dropped, you would probably see the magnet not be aligned and he has seen that before in other w7's.

So in a nutshell, he says its probably fine, but I need to either come back when he has free time to put the sub into his box, or I can put it back into my old sealed box and he would gladly test it while its in my box. He did not test it while it was bare and boxless.

He also offered to build a dual ported box painted or stained and designed for the home for $300. I might do that if the sub works.

you could easily build and enclosure yourself. Put it in the sealed box and try it on a diff amp. check the tensils too and make sure everything is still together and soldered.

if you have the money and your onkyo has a sub pre out,i would look into the yamaha p series pa amps.very nice amps for home theater.you would allso need a ROLLS MB15B.get those two things and you would have an excellent HT sub setup.i absolutely love my p3500s with 2000w rms on tap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.