Enclosure questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Einzee
10+ year member

Service Professional
This is my first attempt at actually slowing down and using real calculations to build an enclosure. I am waiting for my UPS shipment (got lost/never delivered). So I ended up getting an Orion 10" dual 4 coils.

My question is: Is 1.1 cubes big enough for a ported enclosure? The spec sheet says 1 cube sealed or ported and not to calculate the displacements. I have already built the enclosure and didnt realize it was so small until I put it together.

I decided to tune to 28. I ran the calculations for a 2" round port and it calls for almost 8.5 inches length. The 2" port looks incredibly small however, when I run the numbers for a 3" port I end up needing a port that is too long for the enclosure.

Question #2 Is it ok to install 2 ports and make the total port length to specs. Example, the calc says 10" port... can I put 2 in @ 5" each?

Thankyou in advance.

This is my first attempt at actually slowing down and using real calculations to build an enclosure. I am waiting for my UPS shipment (got lost/never delivered). So I ended up getting an Orion 10" dual 4 coils. My question is: Is 1.1 cubes big enough for a ported enclosure? The spec sheet says 1 cube sealed or ported and not to calculate the displacements. I have already built the enclosure and didnt realize it was so small until I put it together.

I decided to tune to 28. I ran the calculations for a 2" round port and it calls for almost 8.5 inches length. The 2" port looks incredibly small however, when I run the numbers for a 3" port I end up needing a port that is too long for the enclosure.

Question #2 Is it ok to install 2 ports and make the total port length to specs. Example, the calc says 10" port... can I put 2 in @ 5" each?

Thankyou in advance.
The size of the port will make a difference in the length, but not in a relative matter. The length does not only help determine tuning, but other very important factors as well, that overall give the output of the enclosure/driver when performing. If you would like for me to do a design for you, I can do that for a purchase price of either 19.99 or 34.99 depending on what you would like done. I can also do the build if you become interested.

This way, you can get a design based on proper parameters and you will not have to worry about calculations. UNLESS, you want to be able to do it yourself. In which, I can give you some guidelines to follow as a starter. Just let me know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Also, the 1.1 cubic ft volume can be determined by proper size with the needed parameters of what driver you are using and your personal limitations and response goals, among other variables. So, no one can say yet if it is too small or what not without knowing more information about the design goal and driver specifications. Just to give you a heads up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

your personal limitations and response goals, among other variables. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well we all want to hit 180db's with our $29 HU that puts out 50 X 4. LOL.

Seriously, I dont know what to expect so therefore I cannot have any expectations. Im not looking to dis-lodge my windows or cause an earthquake from my sound system. Here is some more info:

View attachment 26530179View attachment 26530180

This is my creation. I think the "pipe" port is ugly. I think I want a slot port.

Im having difficulty getting the sub specs to display here. http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/OG/Orion/GXTR102_2008-12MLweb.pdf

Youll find the specs on pg 14 XTR104.

if you have the space run the port outside the box...
I guess it wouldnt be any uglier than what I have now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I guess it wouldnt be any uglier than what I have now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
lol... just another option or just rebuild the box bigger and do an Lport or Slot port

The recommended volume that I have for it is 2.47ft^3@34.39Hz. But I do not know if you could accommodate this space. But at the least, the tuning should be around 34-35Hz. The port can be at a minimum of 21.6in^2, but not to exceed 43.2in^2 for output compliance matching of the drivers mechanical specs. Anything larger will require some large volumes or long port lengths more than you would like. I hope that little bit helps at the least without having you purchase anything. I would also recommend feeding it around 26.25V on music with those specs based on the direct resistance of the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.