I just want aux-in, no headunit, no external amp, no screens, no bs!

jaross
10+ year member

From what I can tell, if I get one of the simple 1/2 din equalizers with an 1/8th" in jack, I still need an external amp. If I don't need anything super loud, can I splice some rca connectors directly to my speakers using nothing more then something like a Cadence-CEQ-773-7-Band-Paragraphic-Equalizer-7-Volts-Line-Driver??? (does line driver mean it will provide power directly to speakers?)

I'm probably missing quite a bit, but i don't see why I couldn't make a simple aux-in amp with only volume control that hooks straight up to my car's existing speakers for $20 from radioshack! Why can't I do that?! You can buy a simple headphone amp. Shouldn't this be similar?

Edit: looks like I want a 4ch motorcycle amp. Whats a good one for cheap?

That kicker thing looks great but it is about 5 times what I would like to spend.

I have an old 5 channel (I think) Eclypse amp, but I would have to re-wire my whole car. I also don't want the weight and extra space taken in my car. If I ONLY use a 1/2 din EQ with line driver, will that not be powerful enough for me to hear in my stock speakers?

yes I am asking if an eq, with line driver (thought this added wattage) would power my speakers. All I want is a single din sized 4 channel amp with volume control and 1/8th inch jack input.

obviously I don't know much about car stereos..

Heres all I really want, and if it is a full din thats fine. I want an 1/8th inch input jack that goes out to 4 channels and powers my cars stock speakers. It should only have one knob on it, that being volume. No displays or lights. I am very surprised there is no diy instructions to build such a thing...

u have to have some kind of output device for the speakers. a line driver will not push a speaker directly neither will an eq the only eq i know that will push speakers is the ms8 and if u thought the kicker was expensive then i need not even mention the price of the ms8. plan and simple u cannot do what u are asking the way u want for that price. u have to have an amp somewhere along the line and control module to send signal to the amp. feel free to prove me wrong but even homemade 15w amps are going to be bigger tha a single din radio and you will need 4 of them. not to mention something to convert the signal from digital to analog

u have to have some kind of output device for the speakers. a line driver will not push a speaker directly neither will an eq the only eq i know that will push speakers is the ms8 and if u thought the kicker was expensive then i need not even mention the price of the ms8. plan and simple u cannot do what u are asking the way u want for that price. u have to have an amp somewhere along the line and control module to send signal to the amp. feel free to prove me wrong but even homemade 15w amps are going to be bigger tha a single din radio and you will need 4 of them. not to mention something to convert the signal from digital to analog
A single din car stereo has its own built in amp, thats why it can power 4 car speakers on its own. Its looking like I will try to find a small 4 channel motorcycle amp. this thing is cool but over priced http : slash slash store.mp3car dot com/TDA7850_Internal_4_x_50W_Quad_Bridge_Power_Amplifi_p/com-140 dot htm

A single din car stereo has its own built in amp, thats why it can power 4 car speakers on its own. Its looking like I will try to find a small 4 channel motorcycle amp. this thing is cool but over priced http : slash slash store.mp3car dot com/TDA7850_Internal_4_x_50W_Quad_Bridge_Power_Amplifi_p/com-140 dot htm
yes but it also has both of the things i talked bout: a processor and a built in amp. finding an amp that small will be ridiculously difficult and u cant just rip on from a old radio, then on top of that you need the processor to control the volume and d/a converting doing all this will be expensive and quite difficult but if u insist try http://www.partexpress.com

Well I also found a couple SIMPLE single Dins for ya... These are just what I found to be the simplest options. IMO, it's much easier to just wire up a little head unit, than integrate an EQ to a line-driver, to your speakers.

the first and cheapest being this clarion:

Clarion FZ501 In-Dash Digital Media Receiver w/ Built-In Bluetooth

Then there's the O'Car, and the iRoc, which fit in your single din slot, and have an iPod dock built in, to integrate your iPod as an HU. These are both more expensive, but quite simple if you do use an Apple MP3 player, and don't mind that being your head unit. Definitely worth looking at. I've heard some positive reviews from the o'car

iRoc: iRoc In-Dash iPhone Controlled Car GPS Stereo Receiver

O'Car: Oxygen Audio oCar iPhone 4/4S Docking Car Radio Stereo Receiver

i looked at that device and u can prolly make it work but you are going to need to shield it from the cars electronics or you will have noise, any radio now-days has a built in noise filter often in the forms of large capacitors. and u still need to feed this thing with a signal. and gain match it so you dont send your speakers a clipped signal and blow the speakers

Well I also found a couple SIMPLE single Dins for ya... These are just what I found to be the simplest options. IMO, it's much easier to just wire up a little head unit, than integrate an EQ to a line-driver, to your speakers.the first and cheapest being this clarion:

Clarion FZ501 In-Dash Digital Media Receiver w/ Built-In Bluetooth

Then there's the O'Car, and the iRoc, which fit in your single din slot, and have an iPod dock built in, to integrate your iPod as an HU. These are both more expensive, but quite simple if you do use an Apple MP3 player, and don't mind that being your head unit. Definitely worth looking at. I've heard some positive reviews from the o'car

iRoc: iRoc In-Dash iPhone Controlled Car GPS Stereo Receiver

O'Car: Oxygen Audio oCar iPhone 4/4S Docking Car Radio Stereo Receiver
i agree just putting an aftermarket unit will most likely be the easiest route if not the cheapest. most car can have a radio with that set of features , and all kits needed to install for around $130 sometimes less. unless of course you have a newer car with a much needed integration harness. then it could be a good bit more expensive but you will have a better outcome

The reason an EQ line driver cannot power speakers is straightforward - line level outputs can't source current and cannot drive low impedance loads. The line level outputs are looking for a 10,000 ohm input impedance (load).

you need an amplifier to power speakers, regardless of how loud (or quiet) you want it.

back in the 80's and 90's we ran EQ boosters - EQ's with built-in amplifiers. Alpine had some that were popular and reliable. You can only buy them used anymore, but they'll be pretty cheap - under $50. No one uses them anymore. They will give you a line input and 2 or 4 channel amplifier, some even have balance/fader. they will be 1/2 DIN.

List of vintage Alpine EQ's

Alpine EQ/Booster Parts and Accessories Library from PacParts

One i've used

Alpine ERE-G160 - has a 2 channel amp

P1240057.jpg

I have an older Jensen booster EQ sitting in my basement. Other companies made them, I just preferred Alpine products back then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.