f-150 Big 3 Help

camdogg4570
10+ year member

Ok, so i have a 1997 f-150 and im putting in a 130 amp altenator. I'm planning to do the Big 3 with 4 gauge wire also, but I've run into a small problem...... There are two wires that run from my altenator (I do not know why there are two wires, if you have any idea please let me know) and they run to a Maxi Fuse then to the battery +. Basically, the Maxi Fuse is what stands in my way to doing the Big 3. I don't know where to get a new fuse or what I should do to run the wires and keep the fuse. It is a 170amp fuse, and I don't think i can "reuse" the old Maxi Fuse because the connections seem to be to small for 4 gauge wire. If you have any idea of what I could or should do, PLEASE let me know! I need help ASAP. Thanks.

^^^Agreed...go with 0/1 or 0/2 power cable when doing the big three. Most stock wire is 4 to 8 gauge so that's not much of an upgrade. This will ensure that your upgraded alt is pushing the max current to your battery as possible. One wire is the charging wire (alt to battery) the other??? Most alternators I have worked on are one wire alternator. I would use a full size ANL fuse holder. Pics would help. That wire going to that fuse is probably the right gauge for that rating. Also, I always leave the original wires in place and add on my 0/2 AWG on the big 3.

Yup. For instance if you replace the alternator charging wire to battery leave the old charging wire in place. Place the your new wire and run it along with the old wire. Yes, this helps with routing as well. Make sure not to change the wire that is going to your under hood fuse box. That is an OEM wire that you should not change or add to. Some people remove it and some keep it there. I have done the big 3 on all my cars and probably about 40'ish other vehicles. Post a pic a pic where the other wire is that is coming from your alt (not the chargin wire) or find out where it leads and post back.

Ok, well in that case i could probably just attach the new wire to the point where the old wire is crimped to the fuse......now to find a way to do this lol.

Before you do that show a pic to the fuse. You should have a wire going from the alt to the battery. This is the one you want to add onto. Make sure to fuse this wire. This is one of the 3 wires of the big 3. The other two are the battery ground to the engine chassis and the other is the battery ground to the vehicle chassis. Since you are upgrading your alt...you are actually doing a big 4...LOL

^^^^Lol yea you're right! Well, I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow around 10:00 or 12:00 if you happen to check them out and have an idea of what I could do, please hmu. thanks btw

I'll look tomorrow. Oh...that sounds like me..up to odd hours doing installs. It's a lot better now..got a heated 2000 sq ft pole barn (metal bldg) so I can work in there all through the year!

Ok so here's a pic of the fuse that is on the wire that goes from the alt to the battery.

View attachment 26530144

1. Power Network Box Megafuse

2. Altenator Megafuse

3. Altenator Field Minifuse

So 2 is going from alt to batt. I dont know if i should just hook up the new wire to the 2 fuse or what???

Just run wire from your alt directly to battery with a ANL fuse. I wouldn't touch or crimp to any wire in the pic you have posted.

Here is a video for example

Last edited by a moderator:
@sciontistbb So should i leave the wire that's already there and just add the new 4 gauge with the fuse but run it directly to the battery??? Or take out the wire from the altenator and add the 4 gauge to the battery with the fuse???

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

@Buck Yep it sure is a 4.6l

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.