Best glue and caulking to use on sub box???

silveradokid
10+ year member

The Hope that lies WITHIN
So I'm nearing the end of building my first enclosure, now I just need to glue it together. I guess some of my measurement must have been off, and I had to change some of the design midway through the build, so there are some gaps. They aren't very large, greatest being 1/8" maybe(most likely smaller), but my question is, is what glue should I use to fill the gaps and glue it together. Gorrilla glue? Wood glue? And what caulking will be best? I used 3/4" mdf.

I use Liquid nails, inside and out, and sand the outsides smooth then flexstone the box on the outside seals, looks good, and is waterproof when done,and durable.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well sanding the edges to help the gaps won't do any good , only will make them worse. I'm thinking liquid nails as of now, I'm not sure about gorilla glue because I feel like even though it expands, there will still be some air bubbles leaving a place for the air to escape. Can I use liquid nails to glue it together and seal all the gaps, and then use just some standard caulking on the inside? On a side note, I'm carpeting the box, since it will look the best.

I have been building boxes for years, I currently use TITEBOND 3 Premium woodglue its about 10 bucks a bottle or 20 a gallon at lowes. You will break the wood before you break the seam. I also use GE brand 100% pure silicone sealant after the box is together and line all the seams. Its Flexible, weather resistant, 50 year sealant. They also have a sandable version of it. That cost about 4 or 5 bucks a tube at lowes. A little pricey for caulk but its well worth it and doe not take long to dry. I have NEVER in my life had a box leak or come apart using these products.

Making the paste with woodglue and sawdust is a great trick also, Just be sure to let it dry.

Well sanding the edges to help the gaps won't do any good , only will make them worse. I'm thinking liquid nails as of now, I'm not sure about gorilla glue because I feel like even though it expands, there will still be some air bubbles leaving a place for the air to escape. Can I use liquid nails to glue it together and seal all the gaps, and then use just some standard caulking on the inside? On a side note, I'm carpeting the box, since it will look the best.
I think that will be just fine.I dont see any reason why not.Its cheap, it seals, and it works, and it can be sanded too if needed..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

use a rubber sealant or fiberglass OR make your own as tommyk said... on another note, why would one use an EXPANDING glue such as liquid nails and gorilla glue to fill a gap? makes no sense.

I haven't made billions of competition boxes or anything, but Titebond and Titebond 3 has worked great for me - we use 3 when we make skateboards/longboards, and they go through a lot more moisture and dirt and other types of abuse that sub boxes don't see. I had a little gappage in my first and I did the sawdust+glue thing and it worked well. As for caulk I just used generic clear silicone from wal-mart or something and it's done fine.

I make a paste from regular wood glue and sawdust. Mix it together and fill in the gaps.
Normally this. MDF consists of a TON of glue anyway.. so the paste is uber noice.

However, my last box I used Titebond 3 & caulk used for soft/slick panel board.

use a rubber sealant or fiberglass OR make your own as tommyk said... on another note, why would one use an EXPANDING glue such as liquid nails and gorilla glue to fill a gap? makes no sense.
I see what you mean but if you assemble the box and just put some on the joint if there is any gaps it will expand and fill it up. If the fact that it expands messes up the box, it wasn't assembled correctly in the first place.

Liquid Nails doesn't expand. They even make a specific type for slick panel board such as MDF. Also, not everyone uses MDF to make enclosures.. so Liquid Nails (the proper type) is often used and works very well. Especially if you don't have the right saws to do everything. It's great for filling voids.

Normally this. MDF consists of a TON of glue anyway.. so the paste is uber noice.
However, my last box I used Titebond 3 & caulk used for soft/slick panel board.
MDF is actually sawdust and glue to begin with... more glue than wood...
You hear that echo?

loljk.

..and MDF isn't even really wood. It's fiberboard. It's a chemical compound mixed with glue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.