New Member - Intermittent Power to Amplifiers

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my system that I'm trying to troubleshoot. I suspect that the technician at my shop either is not good at troubleshooting or is trying to avoid a lengthy repair.

My system originally consisted of an upgraded head unit, 4-channel amp, and new speakers. After a month I added a sub, mono amp, and 2 farad cap (cap has a volt meter but no remote lead). Each amp and the cap has it's own ground. +12 volts appears to go as follows:

* from the battery

* through a 100-amp fuse (not blown)

* to the 4-channel amp

* to the cap

* to the mono amp

Recently I've had both amps cut off intermittently (with increasing frequency); when they cut off the display on the cap goes blank. At first I suspected a bad cap, but (with the way it's wired) that does not seem likely. The technician noted my battery was bad and did not check any further. I replaced the battery and the problem persists. I also verified that the alternator is working well.

When the amps are running they sound great. The head unit (Kenwood 6960) works fine. The car runs perfectly. The car is a 2006 Odyssey. The 4-channel amp (XR4S) is under the left second-row seat and the mono amp (XR1S) and cap are under the right second-row seat.

It seems that, as the amplifiers do not turn on at all, I have a problem with either the power (+12 volts) or remote wiring. The fact that the cap display is off seems to indicate that power is being interrupted. And, the fact that neither amplifier comes on seems to indicate that the problem is somewhere between the battery and 4-channel amp.

Since I've had this system for a while and this problem started recently, it seems that the installer screwed up somehow and a break in the power cable developed. I'm thinking I should ask the shop to rewire the power cables (to correct the supply interruption and to fix the cap wiring) but wanted to make sure I thought this issue through carefully before I start making demands.

Does anyone have suggestions on what else could be wrong besides the power connections?

Sounds like your running everything in series.the cap needs to be in parallel with the 2 amps.you dont rjn the power to one amp,the cap,then the mono amp.run the main power wire into the cap first,then to the amps.

Sounds like your running everything in series.the cap needs to be in parallel with the 2 amps.you dont rjn the power to one amp,the cap,then the mono amp.run the main power wire into the cap first,then to the amps.
Yeah. I'm no expert, but I was thinking the same thing. In fact, it occured to me (after I wrote the original post) that my prior car was done in parallel).

That's part of the reason why I'm considering asking the shop to rewire the whole thing - that plus the fixing the intermittent power loss is all there is to wire.

The problem is, the wiring of the cap doesn't appear to address the intermittent power loss. I've had two amps in my van for almost three years and this problem has just popped up in the past couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the input!

Hey everyone,

Got the problem resolved and wanted to post in case it helps anyone else out.

Turns out it was a power issue of sorts. The components were grounded at one spot (probably to prevent having to drill multiple holes in the car body) and the ground was becoming frayed to the point where adequate contact was happing sporadically.

While getting this problem straighened out, I upgraded to 4 ga power and ground cable, and a good fuse (nothing huge and 1/0 will not fit under the sills), with short runs of 8 ga to each amp. Also the cap is now wired to both amps (previously it was wired to just the sub).

Sounds great and no headlight dimming at idle with the volume up to my comfort threshold. Naturally I had to pay for the upgrade but seeing what this stuff costs and the 2 hours it took to re-wire the price was fair.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.