Only 60 amp fuse? Help.

My first thought is it true 4 awg? True 4 is capable of like 150 A I think. So why would they put a fuse so small? On a hard note that kicker amp will need more than 60 and pop that fuse.

The fuse at the battery is NOT to protect the amp it is to blow if more currrent is pulled through it than the wire can hold without problems. That seems like a small fuse for true 4 gauge wire but I am new any other thoughts?

Heres a little secret almost everyone knows. When you buy a wiring kit, it comes with a fuse thats capable of the maximum safe amount of current that the wire can carry. Whats even funnier is the cheapest wire ive ever seen (audiopipe) even has a 100a fuse. LOL

Heres a little secret almost everyone knows. When you buy a wiring kit, it comes with a fuse thats capable of the maximum safe amount of current that the wire can carry. Whats even funnier is the cheapest wire ive ever seen (audiopipe) even has a 100a fuse. LOL
^^^this. That's the most that wire can carry safely w/o hazard. You might be able to get away with a higher fuse but I wouldn't trust it especially if the the wire kit was cheap

I have a 250 anl on my run of 4ga, and no issues,JL ofc, but..??Ive ran it for 5yrs now.
I'm no expert by any means but having a fuse rated higher then the amperage the wire can handle kinda makes the fuse pointless. The wire will catch fire before the fuse has the capability to stop it. And that's exactly what a fuse is ment to prevent

Tru copper 4 ga should handle 100a. Some 4 ga wire will handle more because of the insulators being used around the wire. Same goes for electrical wire. Not real sure how they rate cca I usually try to stay away from it

For reference, KnuKonceptz 4 guage CCA and OFC is rated for 100 and 150A, respectively. If that is decent 4 gauge, even CCA, I don't see why it would have a problem handling 100A of current.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.