DISTORTION at high volume!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

93cr250
10+ year member

Iowa
right now in my car i have 2 pioneer premier 6x9s in my rear deck, 85w rms each, powered by a 100w x2 amp. In the front i have 2 jbl gto 6.5s about 40w rms, cant remember for sure, powered by the deck, which is a blaupunkt mp3000 rated at 23w rms per channel. The deck will be replaced by an alpine cde-133bt i have ordered (should be here within the next week). Anyway there has ALWAYS been distortion with heavy bass notes unless i turn the bass down to around 0 or 1 (range is -5 to +5). I have hooked up the amp to the fronts to see if it just maybe wasnt enough for the pioneers but it will distort when hooked to the jbl 6.5's even sooner than the pioneer 6x9s!! So i really dont know if it is just the sh!!ty deck, or if i am asking too much of the speakers or what. But the pioneers are about the best non component 6x9s out there so they should go pretty **** loud i would think. If it is a song with very little bass like a zeppelin song or something like that i can listen to it as loud as i want, but a song like "hear me now" by hollywood undead i have to keep the volume way too low for my liking. So what would you guys recommend i do at this point? I know one thing you might say is also to amp the fronts only but the 6x9s really NEED an amp and the 6.5s do better on HU power than the 6x9's will.

What do you mean by distortion? Like the bass notes or like the vocals are crap? Distortion in general is probably due to the gain being too high on your amp. Where is it set? Try turning the gain down and see if it helps.

Other than that, my advice would be to lose the 6x9's altogether. You really don't need the higher frequencies coming from the rear. And if you're using the 6x9's for sub duty, you'd be waaaaay better off with even a crappy sub in a modest enclosure.

ok, so my amp is 250w bridged so if i get a sub i would like to not have to buy another amp too, so what would you recommend i get

sounds like you just need to set your gains, and cross overs right, there are threads under the search about setting gains, and all that jizzle jazzle.

we do have a bandpass box with 2 8 inch subs in it now but they are so crappy i dont even bother with them, should i maybe buy 2 more 8 inch subs for it?

sounds like you just need to set your gains, and cross overs right, there are threads under the search about setting gains, and all that jizzle jazzle.
his speakers are running off his deck....wtf are u talkin about

u need to buy a 4 channel for ur speakers...ur headunit cant supply the power they need so ur just sending the speakers a dirty signal

his speakers are running off his deck....wtf are u talkin about

u need to buy a 4 channel for ur speakers...ur headunit cant supply the power they need so ur just sending the speakers a dirty signal
well the rears are amped but they are using a small crappy old jensen, and i cant believe i was so stupid, but i think it may be 100w max per channel, it said 100w+100w or 250w bridged so i figured it was rms. But now i think it has to be max, because if it was 100w rms it would easily be able to push the 6x9s.

Check make sure the polarity is correct on the 6x9 speakers. If the bass sounds better with just one you make have the wires backwards.
yes, i know they are correct, the amp is in the trunk so the wires go directly from the amp to the speakers

Check make sure the polarity is correct on the 6x9 speakers. If the bass sounds better with just one you make have the wires backwards.
yes, i know they are correct, the amp is in the trunk so the wires go directly from the amp to the speakers
He didn't say make sure they are connected. He said make sure the + is on the + and - on the - on both speakers correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.