Sundown Audio?

Participant count
  • Participant list

PassatPSI

Ewing
I'm new to the site, and relatively new to car audio, and am posting this thread as I need help.

I am purchasing a system for my 1999 Passat this Christmas, and really need some advice. If anyone feels like helping, that would be much appreciated- I read through some of the stickies and hope I am not in violation of anything..

This will be my 2nd system i'm "building", but the first where I actually plan to do the install.

Car Information:

1999 VW Passat sedan

Stock everything

System Aspirations:

(1) Headunit: (Have an old Alpine CDE-something, I'll look it up tonight)

(2) Sets of Speakers: (???? Don't know what to buy here yet)

250-400 watt total

(2) 12 inch Subwoofers: (Thinking Sundown SA-12s..)

1200-1500 total rms

(1) Ported Enclosure: (Sound Solutions Audio maybe?)

(1) Four-Channel Amp: (???? Don't know)

(1) Mono Amp: (???? Don't know)

Basically that's my situation so far. Obviously i'm going to have to buy wiring and a bunch of other odds/ends, but I think this is a good start.

Also, note that I've saved up about $1000..

Questions:

I want SPL due to my music interests (hip hop, rap, some electro), is this an appropriate setup?

Should I go with component speakers? Coaxials?

Should I even amp my speakers at all? Maybe just the fronts?

Can I even accomplish this installation, given I've never wired subs or an amp before..

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance, and let me know if there's any more information I can provide to help you help me.

PassatPSI

On the sub stage the first thing that you can do to help out would be to get some measurements of the area you have to work with. This way would could help you a little by making sure what ever you decide to get will actually fit and work in your application.

On the sub stage the first thing that you can do to help out would be to get some measurements of the area you have to work with. This way would could help you a little by making sure what ever you decide to get will actually fit and work in your application.
I'm finding 15 cu ft as the volume of my trunk (1999 Passat GLS). If you're talking about more specific measurements, I'll have to get them later on as I was unable to find them using google... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Yea, we would need to know the trunk opening size and such as well. Just because they claim to have 15ft3 of space does not mean it is all usable.

Yea, we would need to know the trunk opening size and such as well. Just because they claim to have 15ft3 of space does not mean it is all usable.
Very true. Ok when I get out of work I'll try to get the measurements. Can you maybe be more specific as to what to measure? Like, measure from x to x and from y to y; I just don't know where the x's and y's are. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the forum Passat,

One thing I'd recommend if you're on a budget (or even if you're not) is to leave the rear speakers alone. You will not gain much by amping them or, if they're halfway decent, replacing them. I would focus your speaker money on a very good set of components for the fronts. If you're good on a HU, figure:

Subs: ~$400

Box: ~$70

Speakers: ~$100-200

Comps Amp: ~$120 for a 2-channel

Sub Amp: ~$????? maybe 1000W RMS?

Wiring, etc.: ~$120

This gives you around 200 for a sub amp. If you're going to be running more than 1000W I'd recommend you definitely do the Big 3 at the least electrical-wise. Have you considered buying used or from the forum? Got my amps from here and another forum, saved moneys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.