Subs miss matched, big deal or no?

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I posted before about reading 1.4ohm on my parallel sub circuit with two dual voice coil 4ohm subs. I took them apart to rewire it with heavier gauge and I took ohm readings of each coil. One sub has 5ohm coils while the other has 4ohm coils..Who ever bought these.....wtf. I figure its not a big deal, just total resistance is 1ohm higher.

It is not recommended to mix n match??Different subs work at different frequiencies and possibly different ohms value creating issues, as you are experiencing with these subs??I wouldnt recommend it..Your system, and your decission in the end, i can only recommend:uhoh: Its up to you:D

Did you ever upgrade your electrical? I read you have 6 gauge power wire going to a 1500 watt rms amp? Idk if you already have but you need to do the big 3 and run bigger gauge power wire at least 2 gauge. I'm surprised 6 gauge even fit in the saz-1500 lol.

Okay I should clear some stuff up sens i'm posting threads like a retard. The subs are back on the 500W RMS xplod, the cone is not torn from the suspension, its actually fine.. somehow.. Yeah I know i'm beating the hell out of them, I got the box, xplod amp, 2 EQ dbx 12' subs, and a cap(dont care about the cap but still) for 170 bucks. The guy I bought them from was adamant about them being dual 4ohm subs, so I took his word on it. I was pounding them into the ground for about a month. But then he started telling me to buy boss phantom subs and I knew something was really wrong. That's when I took the subs out and found a HUGE rats nest of 18gauge wire that was exposed and covered with electrical tape. I rewired the subs with 12Gauge and while I was doing it I tested the resistance of each coil to see if I had damaged them by dumping amperage on the subs. First thing I notice, yes they are both DBX 12' subs, but the markings on the motor are different, one says 800W and the other says 400WRMS, no biggie I figure, maybe one was newer than the other. But the coils are not the same, one sub has dual 5ohm, and one has dual4, IIRC the one with dual5 was the one that suffered suspension/cone damage. The coils are fine, the suspension is okay, there IS damage to the connection between the suspension and the cone in one but it is still attached. I'm putting a second bat in for the xplod amp, even that was to much for 6gauge. The SAZ-1500 is packed up and getting ready to ship to CO. I'm selling the current system before I go, but I think il try to replace the one with suspension damage before I leave. I would rather have a happy customer than money. I know I have no idea what i'm doing, this is my first system and i'm going in head first like a tard. But that's why I ask questions here, even if I get flamed, I always get a great answer from awesome members //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So thanks

Okay I should clear some stuff up sens i'm posting threads like a retard. The subs are back on the 500W RMS xplod, the cone is not torn from the suspension, its actually fine.. somehow.. Yeah I know i'm beating the hell out of them, I got the box, xplod amp, 2 EQ dbx 12' subs, and a cap(dont care about the cap but still) for 170 bucks. The guy I bought them from was adamant about them being dual 4ohm subs, so I took his word on it. I was pounding them into the ground for about a month. But then he started telling me to buy boss phantom subs and I knew something was really wrong. That's when I took the subs out and found a HUGE rats nest of 18gauge wire that was exposed and covered with electrical tape. I rewired the subs with 12Gauge and while I was doing it I tested the resistance of each coil to see if I had damaged them by dumping amperage on the subs. First thing I notice, yes they are both DBX 12' subs, but the markings on the motor are different, one says 800W and the other says 400WRMS, no biggie I figure, maybe one was newer than the other. But the coils are not the same, one sub has dual 5ohm, and one has dual4, IIRC the one with dual5 was the one that suffered suspension/cone damage. The coils are fine, the suspension is okay, there IS damage to the connection between the suspension and the cone in one but it is still attached. I'm putting a second bat in for the xplod amp, even that was to much for 6gauge. The SAZ-1500 is packed up and getting ready to ship to CO. I'm selling the current system before I go, but I think il try to replace the one with suspension damage before I leave. I would rather have a happy customer than money. I know I have no idea what i'm doing, this is my first system and i'm going in head first like a tard. But that's why I ask questions here, even if I get flamed, I always get a great answer from awesome members //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So thanks
check your grounds

A couple things, first its not a great idea to run diff ohm subs each will be getting different amount of power. Second like others have said each will have diff frequecies, and other characteristics that may damage subs and or amp. I GREATLY DISCOURAGE IT. That being said I have run diff. ohm subs, all my wiring and electric was good each one was in its own sealed box, and it was on a mono amp.1 4 ohm and 1 3 ohm. I ran it like this for almost 2 years and had no problems. I sold one sub and the amp to a friend and over a year later he is still using them. As for selling your stuff, those subs are shot I would hook em up to a bad azz amp and watch em fry, then sell the other stuff. Again I dont condone diff ohm subs do so at your own risk.

A couple things, first its not a great idea to run diff ohm subs each will be getting different amount of power. Second like others have said each will have diff frequecies, and other characteristics that may damage subs and or amp. I GREATLY DISCOURAGE IT. That being said I have run diff. ohm subs, all my wiring and electric was good each one was in its own sealed box, and it was on a mono amp.1 4 ohm and 1 3 ohm. I ran it like this for almost 2 years and had no problems. I sold one sub and the amp to a friend and over a year later he is still using them. As for selling your stuff, those subs are shot I would hook em up to a bad azz amp and watch em fry, then sell the other stuff. Again I dont condone diff ohm subs do so at your own risk.
I thought it wasn't good, but I didn't know how bad. I agree that I should just dump these subs, I wouldn't feel right selling them.. No matter how cheap. Thanks a lot for the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Id sell the subs seperate, not as a package so that the next person doesnt get confused about the pair, and just buy some other subs.IMO

I missed the other thread but if Im understanding you correctly, the sub that reads 5ohm's was damaged?

If thats the case try pushing down on the cone while metering it. Its possible the tinsel leads are half broken or something like that. Worth a shot.

One sub is definitely damaged. You can say the spider is still attached, but you posted a pic clearly showing the spider detached from the cone. It might still be attached part way around the spider, but that just means the spider will work against keeping excursion linear, the opposite of its intended purpose. Not trying to sound like a dick, just wanting to make sure you fully understand the situation. The one sub is definitely bad.

If one sub is rated at 400 watts, and the other at 800 watts, they are almost certainly very different subs and should not be attempted to couple together. The person you bought these speakers from doesn't seem to know much, Id avoid his advice in the future.

One sub is definitely damaged. You can say the spider is still attached, but you posted a pic clearly showing the spider detached from the cone. It might still be attached part way around the spider, but that just means the spider will work against keeping excursion linear, the opposite of its intended purpose. Not trying to sound like a dick, just wanting to make sure you fully understand the situation. The one sub is definitely bad.
If one sub is rated at 400 watts, and the other at 800 watts, they are almost certainly very different subs and should not be attempted to couple together. The person you bought these speakers from doesn't seem to know much, Id avoid his advice in the future.
I know man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif , but the guy still wants to buy them for me for some reason. One says 800W but I think they are referring to peek, because the other says 400WRMS. Who knows, I just want to get rid of them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.